The Cost Of Car

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: personal transportation
Feb 27, 2002, 13:21
To be honest, i wasn't sure whether you were joking regarding the Wind-Powered car or not - but it wouldn't have surprised me had you been serious (hence my reply).

Y'see, i've encountered a remarkable lack of understanding about energy issues from pretty much everyone (myself included up until 3 years ago, or so, when i started studying the subject). i attribute this to the fact that few people understand just how unique a resource crude oil is, and so we have a tendency to take it's enormous benefits for granted.

i had one taxi-driver assure me that we'll never run out of oil "because it comes out of the ground", and another confidently point out that we "can just make some more". When people whose entire day is spent burning the stuff can give it so little consideration, then it's hardly a shock that few others do.

So i really don't want to be preachy or patronising, or anything like that (and big apologies if that's how it's coming across). But it's hard to gauge how much of an understanding about energy systems any given person might have (when taken in the light of those two classic comments, above).
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index