Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: The Cost Of Car
Feb 26, 2002, 15:09
>
> They need to provide a suitable service before
> forcing people to travel by other means/ routes.
>
i agree with this to an extent... but there's also an assumption in there that ticks me off a tad. When you get into a car and start the engine - *you* are making that decision. It's *your* choice to burn that petrol and contribute to the ongoing decimation of our most precious resource in the name of personal transportation.

You can argue that "i *need* to make this car journey", but hey; i (and plenty of people i know) have made conscious decisions not to own a car and to minimise car usage whenever possible.

i agree that if everyone did that tomorrow, then the public transport system would collapse... so yes, the government needs to sort that out big-time. But there's a lot of "avoidance" going on too. People choose to start their engines and drive to work and then blame the government for the burnt oil... "*they* aren't doing enough to make it easy for me to quit my car use".

Well, hey there, maybe it's not going to be an easy thing to do. Sorry 'bout that - but the whole point of burning our oil is to make life easier. Still doesn't alter the fact that we gotta stop. Besides; how many of the lone-commuters that fill our motorways every morn and eve have ever looked into car-pooling? Some, no doubt - probably everyone on _this_ list - but i'd lay odds on it being a small proportion.

People are addicted to ease and convenience that energy-wastefulness brings, and they say an awful lot of things to rationalise that fact. Yes, we need better public transport. But also: Yes, 90% of car users can probably make inconvenient choices that radically reduce their car usage.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index