grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: sorry
Feb 26, 2002, 16:02
>
> If I have to apologise for owning a car,
> then so be it.
>
nah - as i say; i got way Preachy there and it was a bit out of order. But i tend to see red on the subject of car usage (you should see my reaction to car adverts on TV!) and living on a busy London road, i can see (from where i sit) half-empty busses crawl past, stuck in a jam of single-occupant cars... and that really pisses me off. But hey, it's not like i'm a model of the low-impact lifestyle (not yet, anyways :-)

>
> There was no recomendation for engines
> that use alternate fuel supplies, which are,
> as I'm sure we all know, possible, yet being
> held back by the business party.
>
Gotta disagree with you on that actually. It's just a ludicrous waste of *energy* to lug all that metal with you on your journeys.

Also, we don't have a fuel that can replace oil. People who think we do (and that's most people, i guess) just haven't thought the issue through. Before you respond "hydrogen", please be aware that hydrogen is not a fuel (i.e. energy source); it's an "energy carrier". Hydrogen isn't available in a burnable form - so we need to manufacture it. It's manufacture consumes more energy than you get out of the hydrogen. And where do we get *that* energy from?

Well, currently the vast majority of the hydrogen produced on the planet is done by burning Natural Gas (yes, a fossil fuel!) There is speculation that we could build massive solar arrays on the tropical oceans and generate electricity to free hydrogen from the sea water... but there are way too many holes in that plan for me to go into here.

As for electric cars? Again, you're just charging up at the local Power Station - and we all know what most of them burn to generate that energy.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index