The Cost Of Car

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: The Cost Of Car
Feb 26, 2002, 12:35
Well, you know where i stand on this one... people need to stop using their cars altogether, and they need to stop now. Yes, yes, i'm aware that's just not possible for every car user at the moment; so the onus is on the car users to adapt their lives so that it becomes possible.

Here's the thing... when i want to get from A to B i need to expend a certain amount of energy to do so. However, if i decide to go by car, i also need to expend the energy to drag a ton of metal from A to B with me. This is madness. Pure and simple. i can't think of anything less energy efficient that we do on such a scale.

Forget the whole pollution issue with regards to burning fossil fuels for a second; you're still left with a staggering waste of what's easily the planet's most precious non-living resource. The things that we can do with crude oil are almost limitless. To me, dragging a ton of metal around wherever i go is waaaaaayyyy down on that list.

And we don't even need to up the taxes... just work out the true value of oil based upon projected future production and charge the car user *that* price.

By the way, i read an interesting article over the weekend which suggests that the year 2000 may have been the year global oil production peaked; though it's impossible to tell for another couple of years until a trend develops.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index