older mums - just say no!

56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: older mums - just say no!
Nov 01, 2006, 11:49
Yeah but isn't China's population rate about to take a nosedive? I mean, for ages they were only allowed to have one kid per family and that kid was more often than not a boy (girls being drowned at birth) with the net result that in the younger generations, men far outnumber women and therefore little chance of starting a family.

Failing that, viruses will always be one step ahead of us so disease will act as a biological population control to some extent. Added to which, the West's effort to exploit and starve Africa and parts of Asia into oblivion will bring the population down further still, along with Dubya waging a few more un-winnable wars in which thousands of civilians, as well as Allied troops, are wiped out.

My guess is that ultimately the human race will self destruct, don't you worry about that. I'm also guessing we'll die out (probably due to our own stupidity) before the planet is entirely destroyed so whatever we leave behind us (probably insects) will do quite nicely without us thank you.

In the meantime, I'll take my chances at parenthood. I fully appreciate people's right not to have kids if they don't want them. I don't condemn my friends who have chosen not to breed; they have their reasons and I respect their choice. And yes, part of me really wishes that people were vetted before they were allowed to breed but then who's to say I'd pass that test?

All I know is that having kids was the best thing I ever did. My kids give me unconditional love, hope for the future and a reason to get up in the morning - a lot more than any paid work ever gave me. OK there are probably several people who'll jump on me and say these are really crap selfish reasons to have kids - all I know is that my life would be one fuck of a waste of time if I didn't have my children. I'd just be sat in a shitty office somewhere pushing bits of paper around and wanting to jump out of the seventh storey window and do my very own bit for population control...
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index