U-Know! Forum »
older mums - just say no!

56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: older mums - just say no!
Nov 01, 2006, 00:56
That's all true. However, I think that for most people, genetic selfishness overcomes such considerations. Over-consumption is indeed an issue which is going to get more and more out of hand - especially in our corner of the world where population density is increasing to a degree which is already out of control - but I also find it objectionable (as Shanshee Allures pointed out) that people who choose not to reproduce for personal reasons are branded as being more selfishly autistic than those who do.

If anything, the contrary is true - most of the people I know who've had kids seem to me to do it for purely self-serving reasons (because they have a partner who wants to and are afraid to lose them, because they want to regard thesmselves as grown-up and mature, or because their ego drives them to want to leave a piece of themselves behind after they die etc etc.) Not only that, some of the excuses such folk invent in order to justify their actions are unbelieveably sophistic (such as "we want to educate the next generation to make the world a better place for those left behind after us" - very ncie in theory, but in practise at not convincing, considering the number of other ways in which it's possible to contribute towards human enlightenment).
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index