grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: wind farms
May 02, 2006, 23:36
>
> seriously tho' wheres the ammo for fighting
> the brain dead antis?
>
Well that depends very much on exactly *why* they are anti-windfarm. Most of the arguments I've heard boil down to "Well, I don't like the look of them" and there's really nothing you can say to that.

I always point out that precisely the same objections were made with regards to electricity pylons, and very few people seem to even notice them anymore, let alone object to them. And aesthetically speaking, I personally really like both windfarms and power pylons which I guess puts me in a minority. But ultimately if someone is saying: __Don't build a windfarm there because it'll "spoil my view"__ then there's just no 'ammo' for fighting that.

There are bad sites for windfarms (from an ecological standpoint) with at least one instance of a peat bog being drained in order to build a windfarm (a mind-numbingly weird decision for all sorts of reasons). And each potential site should be evaluated on those grounds. Whether or not you take into account the desire of the local people "not to look at them" is ultimately a political policy decision.

Me? I say "screw 'em". We want windfarms!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index