Afghanistan

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: does the job maketh the (wo)man?
Nov 08, 2001, 10:10
steady on. Interfering in someone elses parenting ;)

I know where you're coming from in terms of ethical work though. I too, being a software bod have worked on a few questionable projects. A stock system for the support of EFA and the Tornado aircraft for the RAF and various things for the London Stock Exchange and Reuters.

I have turned down a fair bit though, you have to draw a line. Offers from BNFL got the response from me you would expect. The only way to cope is with the reality. And the reality is you cannot live outside the system. Thing is, when working on the above projects I just couldn't keep my gob shut. The RAF terminated my contract once my Security Clearance came back (or rather didn't) the reason they gave was 'My lack of respect for authority'. Reuters and the LSE fired me because of my politics, and I had been upsetting a certain group of Brokers just a bit.

It's odd. You end up feeling really annoyed with yourself for not being able to keep your head down and do a good job. Yet at the same time strangely proud that the bastards couldn#'t get on with you. Hmmm.. If you take any sort of pride in your work then you lose it emotionally on the ethical front. There's no solution, just keep on putting the invoices in and count the days 'till you can be somewhere else.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index