Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: dubya and the taliban?
Nov 07, 2001, 13:50
you write:
[][][][][][][][][][][][]
I think one of your points speaks against itself though. A lot of money is going into shipping oil in the other direction. That means that a huge market is not being directly catered for directly and to serve that market currently must impose great shipping costs. I know those shipping costs aren't as big as the initial expense of laying a pipeline but the pipeline is an asset on the companies books, using shipping lanes isn't.
[][][][][][][][][][][][]

i don't think that analysis holds together. the plan (as i understand it) that was mooted was the idea of piping the oil to the southern pakistan coast and putting it onto tankers there for sale in the south and east asian markets. the differences between doing that and piping it to Ceyhan, Turkey and putting it on tankers there is negligible (especially when you factor in the oil can be piped directly to europe via the russian pipeline network, freeing up saudi supplies - currently tankered through the Suez - to feed those markets in Asia... why build a new tanker port in pakistan when you can use the multitude of saudi ports on the same sea?!)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index