Afghanistan

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Dreams of escape
Nov 09, 2001, 00:58
i have a (very) small amount of personal experience with commune-living, but a lot of first-hand accounts from others. sadly i doubt the many wonderful upsides and positives could counter my own bloody-minded stubborn nature. that said, the idea of a "loosely-knit" commune (i.e. a bunch of autonomous homesteaders pooling resources and skills) is one that really appeals to me...

i've always liked that "US pioneer" model (i'm obviously talking in a limited sense about how the settlers actually functioned as a community, and not about the massacre of indigenous people and the fetishising of firearms), and i certainly intend to get a place with the facilities for small groups of friends to have extended stays, but i'm just not a "communist" at heart (even in the broadest sense). i'm a community-supporting individualist if i may be so bold as to concoct a phrase.

i've set myself a deadline of five years simply because i'm the sort of person who needs something to work towards; otherwise i have a tendency to let it slide. if it turns out to be 6 years, then so be it - but i need some timescale to focus on (and that seems like a realistic one for me to get my shit sorted out in).

i'll be home at my parents home in West Cork for the christmas... i've always been a city person through-and-through, but since i've been spending time out on that majestic landscape... well... no doubt you understand my conversion!

g.jim.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index