Afghanistan

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

yeah - it does look odd, but...
Nov 07, 2001, 11:34
it's a very complicated subject (i was going to do the article for U-Know, but realised it would far exceed the character limit by necessity) and it's very easy to pick out isolated pieces of information, which out of context, can seem significant (John Pilger's speculation that the oil reserves in the caspian could last America for a generation can be backed up with EIA figures, but shown to be utterly ludicrous with other EIA figures, for example).

the EIA site is quoted heavily in my article by the way; so i'm aware of the proposals by CentGas and their one-time partner, Unocal. but i think i've shown in the piece why these proposals cannot be the reason America is bombing afghanistan (and i don't even go into the technical difficulties in any great depth. but building a pipeline in the Himalayas in the nation with the world's highest density of landmines is something most companies would try to avoid getting into if there were other options... and there's plenty of other options).

anyways, i believe i've presented the facts as they can be reasonably assumed to be (the politics of that region spins my head), and i've drawn some fairly rational conclusions i feel. but, of course, make up your own mind - and in the words of the great prophet Leary... "question everything" (which is actually the advice i was following when i started obsessing about the oil politics and economics 3 years ago - you wouldn't believe how completely messed up the energy industry is - seriously!)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index