Afghanistan

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: no hidden agenda
Nov 08, 2001, 09:13
Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought the oil companies would move from oil, as you say, that would be a daft move while there is still money to be made there.

What I did mean was that they had to look for and generate new markets ( and expand small ones ) for their products. Countries such as Iran, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan have some considerable oil reserves but use very little themselves (and so produce relatively small levels of pollution).
This provides two things:
1) an export excess.
2) a market that can be expanded.

It is condition 2 that I am refering to. These places are ideal for the expansion of dirty industrial processes because they do not produce any where near the levels of pollution that a Kyoto allowance would give them. People are worried about countries being able to trade allowances but I see the problem as much more serious. Companies will just expand operations to these comapnies and take up the slack.

To this end these markets need to be served. The stabilisation of the middle east is paramount to the success of any plan that may be in place to this effect. An attempt at that stabilisation is underway now.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index