Afghanistan

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

does the job maketh the (wo)man?
Nov 07, 2001, 22:59
the way that bomb and its effects are described really got me thinking about the sort of people who make those weapons.

[ off on a tangent... ]

y'know, i worked on some dubious projects back in the days before i left corpo-suit-land, but dodgy in the sense of being part of the big machine that ultimately churned out fizzy-pop into bottles and cans. certainly i would be hard pushed to defend the cosmic necessity of my work at the time, but as much as i have a tendency to spout the "all part of the same system" line at times, there's clearly a major difference between going to work every morning building fuel-air bombs specifically designed to vaporise the internal organs of anyone in the blast radius, and going to work to improve the efficiency of a fizzy-orange can-filling machine.

and while i like to see myself as being pretty damn tolerant when all's said and done, i'd probably find it hard to maintain civility in a room with a man (and let's face it, there's something very testosterone about a fuel-air bomb) who builds "daisy-cutters", whereas i would actually relish the opportunity to have a chat with, say, a guy working on genetically modifying wheat... for all manner of reasons. we might end up shouting at one another eventually, but you assume that someone in that line of work has a vision of what they do as a positive thing.

the man who makes "daisy cutters" though...

how does he sleep?

g.jim.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index