Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece

391 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit
Apr 03, 2013, 19:05
Hi Moss , and thanks for the explanation , which is helpful . I don't understand why you feel “partly to blame “ and assume the recent debacle wasn't in reference to the Trethevy thread , which apart from a small diversion wasn't particularly bad in the aggressive /rudeness stakes compared to some more recent examples whilst most of it was full of informative constructive criticism . If Roy thought so , fair enough but having read all the post on this thread I don't feel that there was anything that matches some of the abuse others have received here in the past . The source of EDG 's highlighted post , which I don't believe was in that abusive category , was
a comment of Roy's that I picked up on “Others only think differently George because they have not researched the quoit correctly. “ Although this was never answered directly an indirect explanation from Roy today was “You do it by firstly not believing what you are always told by your peers if something doesn't appear to be right. One 'expert' after another copies each others work because they are lazy and don't even attempt to see it differently yet become icons in the archaeological world and much respected. Open your eyes, look for alternatives and don't be afraid to break the mould. We amateurs only have our eyes, brains and downright common sense compared to what the professional has at their disposal. “ This suggests that anyone who has a different view from Roy's or an “expert “ (always used pejoratively and in quotes ) have not used their eyes ,brains ,common sense ,are lazy etc . That attitude is what annoyed EDG .
As you can imagine I don't think you should leave so won't embarrass you with exhortations to stay just hope you reconsider after a break .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index