Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Similarities elsewhere?
Apr 01, 2013, 16:30
Sanctuary wrote:
juamei wrote:
So, I've read my copy of the book (thankyou Roy)...

The jigsaw puzzle certainly makes sense. I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention as to when the rearrangement would have been made, I presume in the neolithic?

Also, I am unaware of any other quoit or tomb with a diagonal dividing stone. Are there any still standing examples?

Hi Juamei,
When re-arranged is an unknown I'm afraid. I believe it comes down to the hole in the Capstone because when that was pummelled through it was the likely cause of the Capstone slipping. Due to the positioning of the buttress that was offset from the opening it suggests it was still in use after the slippage otherwise it would have been placed centrally for maximum benefit.

No other diagonal dividing stones that I am aware of in this country although there are far more cromlechs that have been destroyed or are no longer with us than are still here. Funnily enough there is only one stone circle with lintols as well! Always something new to consider eh :-)

Zennor's stone dividing the 2 chambers is diagonal, and it's by far the closest type to trethevy that's extant.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index