Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece

Pages: 40 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece
Mar 29, 2013, 15:00
The Trethevy Quoit book is now available and can be obtained through its own dedicated website
http://trethevyquoit.moonfruit.com/

And a Review can be read here:- http://wp.me/p20lE0-1pm

Roy
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece
Mar 29, 2013, 15:17
Ordered mine and looking forward to reading it, good look with it all Roy, and it's great news on "A lady in waiting" getting a reprint as well, love your new website as well, it gives some great clues but not the answers, I hope you're feeling proud.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 15:38
bladup wrote:
Ordered mine and looking forward to reading it, good look with it all Roy, and it's great news on "A lady in waiting" getting a reprint as well, love your new website as well, it gives some great clues but not the answers, I hope you're feeling proud.

Thank you Paul. Yes I dithered over ALIW as I wasn't sure how long it would sell for but it keeps on going albeit at a slower rate than before.
Can't give more than clues but the Review which I'm really pleased with I think shows that I seem to have made a good fist of unravelling something that had not even been considered before at Threthevy. It's not a huge book page-wise but is straight to the point and doesn't shoot off in all directions to help pad the content out which I detest in some other books. Thanks for the order as well...at least I can eat this week now :-)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:15
Congratulations Roy, not only for producing the book but for going out to explore your part of the world so diligently. King Arthur's Hall next maybe?
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:31
No it's a very good price Roy and i totally agree about a book getting to the point, i'd take a small book that makes it's point clearly and as easily as it can than a big book that waffles on and at the end it's point is lost in all the waffle, and i'm not big [in size or in general] book reader, your photo's on your website got my head going but i'll wait for your book before we'll chat but just from what i know and your photo's i'm starting to see what you mean, and at the end of the day when me and a friend first saw it in 2002 after walking from the Hurlers we both said at the same time "That's not bloody right", so i hope your little book answers questions i first asked 11 years ago because even though my gut has always said the same on all my visits since i've never worked out for myself - what is wrong at Trethevy Quoit?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:48
moss wrote:
Congratulations Roy, not only for producing the book but for going out to explore your part of the world so diligently. King Arthur's Hall next maybe?

Thank you Moss.

Well I'm halfway through a dog breeding book at the moment which I have been asked to write as part of an ongoing series, but yes, KAH is next in line, but in conjuction with our stone circles which are part and parcel of the story down here in Cornwall I feel. Quite excited about that one as the Hall is something really special IMO and has been very seriously overlooked.
Actually I may as well say now that after I had a pop at EH for not upkeeping many of the monuments down here including the Hall, I have been invited to join in with some clearance and investigative work overseen by an archaeo later in April. The stone faces are to be cleared where buried and the growth removed between them. It should look pretty good when completed but I don't think any stones will be raised at this stage. I'm already planning to apply pressure on the archaeo (snigger) to push EH to date the place and to carry out much more research here which is sadly lacking. It is a fascinating place that sends tingles up my spine everytime I enter it.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:57
bladup wrote:
No it's a very good price Roy and i totally agree about a book getting to the point, i'd take a small book that makes it's point clearly and as easily as it can than a big book that waffles on and at the end it's point is lost in all the waffle, and i'm not big [in size or in general] book reader, your photo's on your website got my head going but i'll wait for your book before we'll chat but just from what i know and your photo's i'm starting to see what you mean, and at the end of the day when me and a friend first saw it in 2002 after walking from the Hurlers we both said at the same time "That's not bloody right", so i hope your little book answers questions i first asked 11 years ago because even though my gut has always said the same on all my visits since i've never worked out for myself - what is wrong at Trethevy Quoit?

It all falls into place once you realise that it's not as it should be Paul. Leaving aside the fallen stone which has its own story to tell, I was amazed that nobody has ever realised what the buttress stone really was and where it came from originally. It may be a 'typical' Cornish Dolmen but the word Variant associated with them really comes into play here.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2013, 17:09
Mar 29, 2013, 17:02
It's amazing how much better a site is after a tidy up, in feeling too, it is love that makes people want to tidy them up at the end of the day, a lovely feeling is left when the work is done, i know this because of all the great clearup work done down here at land's end and on the lizard, so it's great news it's now happening near you as well Roy, lets pump it out from here to the rest of the country, because hopefully people are starting to realise how special some of the prehistoric things on their doorsteps are at last, and a date for KAH isn't much to ask is it? Take him/her out on Bodmin moor in the fog and start chatting about stories of the beast of the moor and then get out of sight and shout "I'll only show you the way if we get our date".
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 17:04
They're like the people who built them Roy - all similar but all slightly different.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 17:08
bladup wrote:
It's amazing how much better a site is after a tidy up, in feeling too, it is love that makes people want to tidy them up at the end of the day, a lovely feeling is left when the work is done, i know this because of all the great clearup work done down here at land's end and on the lizard, so it's great news it's now happening near you as well Roy, lets pump it out from here to the rest of the country, because hopefully people are starting to realise how special some of the prehistoric things on their doorsteps are at last, and a date for KAH isn't much to ask is it? Take him out on Bodmin moor in the fog and start chatting about stories of the beast of the moor and then get out of sight and shout "I'll only show you the way if we get our date".

LOL....you're not suggesting I ask him out are you Paul :-)
Pages: 40 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index