353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 28, 2012, 21:33
nigelswift wrote:
"the argument seems to be that EH and other professional bodies know best and no-one else (i.e amateurs) needs to get involved and indeed should stay at a safe distance away where they can do no damage to anything."

No, that's a misinterpretation.

Well, it seems that there have been quite a few concerns raised in this thread and others about people visiting sites to take pictures (including "biddies"). I'm afraid it's difficult to interpret those comments in another way. Obviously I have a bias, as I spend most of my free time out and about at sites taking pictures, and I therefore feel defensive about this.

In the hillforts clearance thread a specific concern was raised that allowing "the public" to have access to a site is encouraging them to visit the site with their kids and then take pictures of them there. It was made clear that it was being frowned upon. http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=65008&message=825291

Earlier in this thread a specific point was made that if someone saw one of us "recording" an upland cairn by climbing onto it, that would also be sending out the wrong message.
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=64653&message=821158

Goff has stated that he feels bad about taking the picture of the cupmark, despite the fact that it served as a record of it, with a useful scale (whether it turns out to be non-prehistoic or not) and despite the fact that no damage was caused. I personally don't think Goff has anything to feel bad about.

I am feeling distinctly that access for the public is being viewed as generally bad, as it might lead us all into temptation unless the access is under supervision of a trained professional. Which goes agaisnt what I believe this website is all about. Can someone point out what specific damage is being caused to sites by people like me and Postie, Drew, Gladman, Tiompan and the countless others who post contributions to this site are doing by our actions? Then we'll ask the Eds to set about decommissioning the website.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index