Climbing on Standing Stones

353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 29, 2012, 03:38
Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 29, 2012, 03:52
"I am feeling distinctly that access for the public is being viewed as generally bad, as it might lead us all into temptation unless the access is under supervision of a trained professional. Which goes agaisnt what I believe this website is all about. Can someone point out what specific damage is being caused to sites by people like me and Postie, Drew, Gladman, Tiompan and the countless others who post contributions to this site are doing by our actions? Then we'll ask the Eds to set about decommissioning the website."

Once again that seems to be a misrepresentation, I can't see where anyone has said or implied anything like that. The simple bottom line is most people on TMA and most people who like megaliths take a dim view of people climbing on monuments like the Devil's Den as they think it gives out a very bad signal. They certainly don't think it's big or clever or indicative of noble research at the controversial cutting edge of science and are particularly unlikely to be convinced otherwise if the person doing it goes on about Wessex archaeologists being academically illiterate in identifying cupmarks! Send Tompian to the Devil's Den, I say! There'll be no problem.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index