Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 28, 2012, 20:50
jonnyj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I admire Tompian, his modesty and behaviour. He's a good example to the public.

I've not read the whole thread so may have missed it, but i certainly wasn't suggesting anything Tiompan does is wrong, quite the opposite actually.
I was just wondering about your view on lifting turves to reveal and photograph RA, as it is interfering with an ancient monument at the end of the day, isn't it. ?

I think that splitting hairs jonnyj. Research of tiompan's kind done sympathetically where he is lifting turves carefully should not be considered as 'interfering' with an ancient monument even if carried out by a none-professional. If it's not done then it's not found. I'm totally against abusing monuments because of their 'sacredness' to me personally, but can't really see how standing on a fixed and secure stone wearing plimsoles or trainers to take a photograph is going to damage it as has also been expressed. I think SC is correct in saying similar words to that. It's a world apart from the core of this discussion of total abuse shown by people who don't give a damn about our heritage.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index