Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 28, 2012, 20:12
thesweetcheat wrote:
goffik wrote:
....I have since learned not to clamber around on or near stones that have rockart on them.

But I'm still not sure that any damage would be caused, using your pic as an example. I'm afraid I don't see what's so reprehensible about doing what you did there. You didn't stand on the cupmark, or kick it, or chisel your name into it.

I know Resonox has used the "monkey see, monkey do" argument before, but if someone was to see this picture and do exactly what you did, what harm would be caused? I know it sounds like I'm labouring the point (I probably am), but really this is at the heart of this whole thread. What is it exactly that we are supposed to be "against" and what are we supposed to be "for"?

The silence is deafening. I'm happy to accept that this is because my post has been dismissed as the usual ramblings, but I don't see how we can, collectively, send out any kind of message unless we understand precisely where we stand on this point.

Does anyone have any problem with Goff's picture or the way it was obtained? I don't.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index