The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Climbing on Standing Stones

Pages: 36 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
hedgedruid
87 posts

Climbing on Standing Stones
Jan 10, 2012, 13:29
Recent topic on sites at risk in N Yorks brought to mind that on several occassions this year i have had to ask people to stop climbing on sacred sites . At Pentre Ifan had to have words with french family whose children were climbing all over the monument - didn't know they were french ! loony in a kilt gesticulating seemed to do the trick . Recently at castleriggg had to ask japanese tourists to desist .
At alot of sites a polite notice "not to climb" on stones might help .
Folk afterwards have come over to agree with me but not been prepared to tackle the ignorant .

Bright Blessings
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Jan 10, 2012, 14:34
Yeah, we've been saying for years that information notices would help. People mostly don't think that they're causing damage, so a gentle pointer to the contrary is a good idea. Same for the leaving of crap at some sites. It's generally ignorance, not malice. Education is always a good thing.

G x
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Jan 10, 2012, 14:48
I totally agree. It breaks my heart to see http://www.explore-gower.co.uk/Content/pid=7.html being used as a climbing frame, too.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jan 10, 2012, 16:33
Sadly its prevalent all over. I recall one megameet at Avebury where one tmaer (Nigel I think, possibly jimit) remonstrated with a chap who'd allowed his kids on a stone and the indignant chap said as he was a local he was allowed and how dare someone tell him off. Beggars belief!
Megalithics
199 posts

Jan 10, 2012, 19:44
Well, there was time some years ago when we were photographing the Clava Cairns (the famous Balnuaran Group), a large coachtrip of Italian tourists arrived and they promptly began using the interiors of the two passage graves as toilets. It was very civilised, men in one, women in the other, they formed orderly queues in the passages.

Then a particularly agile gent shinned up one of the playing card circle stones and performed handstands on the top to the enthusiastic applause of his companions.

It was like the circus had come to town, but not in a good way......

Luckily, we had already photographed the rock art in the interiors.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 10, 2012, 22:30
hedgedruid wrote:
Recent topic on sites at risk in N Yorks brought to mind that on several occassions this year i have had to ask people to stop climbing on sacred sites . At Pentre Ifan had to have words with french family whose children were climbing all over the monument - didn't know they were french ! loony in a kilt gesticulating seemed to do the trick . Recently at castleriggg had to ask japanese tourists to desist .
At alot of sites a polite notice "not to climb" on stones might help .
Folk afterwards have come over to agree with me but not been prepared to tackle the ignorant .

Bright Blessings

The most 'walked over' site I know is the West Kennet Long Barrow. Nobody seems to care a stuff who walks over it and it is now virtually threadbare. I know there are plans afoot to rectify the situation but in the meantime nobody even attempts to stop them. On the very odd occasion I've been there when there was just one or two other people present I've voiced my views and got away with it, but I draw the line at sounding off at 20 odd beer swilling louts who don't care a monkey and are likely to put you in hospital for even looking at them!
It would be helpful if the coach drivers who bring these day-trippers along were to preach the gospel to them before leaving the coach because it seems to me that it never dawns on people not to climb stones and other monuments.
Resonox
604 posts

Jan 11, 2012, 07:45
Slightly OT but with the same bearing...there was a report about Glastonbury Tor being reseeded...with netting and signage asking people to use the pathway whilst the seeds took....and surprise surprise...several people ignored every notice and tramped across the grass(this "short-cut saved about 2 seconds) such was its proximity to the assigned path).
I 've already told about the time I admonished BMX bikers for using Cissbury Ring as a track...despite signs prohibitting this....what is the solution for blatant ignorance???
hedgedruid
87 posts

Jan 12, 2012, 01:08
Megalithics wrote:
Well, there was time some years ago when we were photographing the Clava Cairns (the famous Balnuaran Group), a large coachtrip of Italian tourists arrived and they promptly began using the interiors of the two passage graves as toilets. It was very civilised, men in one, women in the other, they formed orderly queues in the passages.

Then a particularly agile gent shinned up one of the playing card circle stones and performed handstands on the top to the enthusiastic applause of his companions.

It was like the circus had come to town, but not in a good way......

Luckily, we had already photographed the rock art in the interiors.

MMMM just imagine the outcry in the red banner press if it was brits climbing all over foreign sacred sites ! but our more civilised european neighbours doing it to ours - well who gives a stuff about our sacred sites !!!
WE DO !
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Jan 12, 2012, 10:01
I think the most efficient solution would be involuntary euthanasia.
I concede that I am probably in a minority though.

Belated happy new year to all

Rupert
TheStandingStone
218 posts

Jan 12, 2012, 10:26
I see this sometimes in Ireland too (on the rare occasion I actually meet people when out and about). Portal tombs generally fall victim to this as they are easy to climb on. Browne's Hill dolmen in Carlow always has tourists climbing all over it and generally about 3 coke cans and few crisp packets in the chamber. Worth than that is when people "worship" at the sites and leave candle wax and things all over the stones...however, that's generally rare in Ireland I find.

Ironically, although I urge people to never climb or interfere with the stones I found a picture of a teenage me stood on the skeletal remains of a passage tomb...I hang my head in shame haha...
Pages: 36 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index