353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Jan 10, 2012, 22:30
hedgedruid wrote:
Recent topic on sites at risk in N Yorks brought to mind that on several occassions this year i have had to ask people to stop climbing on sacred sites . At Pentre Ifan had to have words with french family whose children were climbing all over the monument - didn't know they were french ! loony in a kilt gesticulating seemed to do the trick . Recently at castleriggg had to ask japanese tourists to desist .
At alot of sites a polite notice "not to climb" on stones might help .
Folk afterwards have come over to agree with me but not been prepared to tackle the ignorant .

Bright Blessings

The most 'walked over' site I know is the West Kennet Long Barrow. Nobody seems to care a stuff who walks over it and it is now virtually threadbare. I know there are plans afoot to rectify the situation but in the meantime nobody even attempts to stop them. On the very odd occasion I've been there when there was just one or two other people present I've voiced my views and got away with it, but I draw the line at sounding off at 20 odd beer swilling louts who don't care a monkey and are likely to put you in hospital for even looking at them!
It would be helpful if the coach drivers who bring these day-trippers along were to preach the gospel to them before leaving the coach because it seems to me that it never dawns on people not to climb stones and other monuments.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index