Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 28, 2012, 20:08
jonnyj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I think I'd back EH to have access to more genuine expertise on the subject than anyone else so....

Yes, let's leave it all to EH. !

I'm sure EH would gladly send along a representative to accompany Tiompan on each and everyone of his many RA forays, to validate anything he may find, with him only being a lowly amateur in the field. :)

One of the interesting things about this discussion is the apparent contradictions it throws up.

For instance, on the subject of who should be responsible for recording sites (including the means of doing so), the argument seems to be that EH and other professional bodies know best and no-one else (i.e amateurs) needs to get involved and indeed should stay at a safe distance away where they can do no damage to anything.

But then EH are being castigated for not sending out the "right" message about climbing on stones and we (i.e. TMA's amateur community) are being entrusted with sending out a "better" message .

So, if EH are the acknowledged experts, and have decided using their expertise that allowing people to climb on Stonehenge at certain times of the year is not causing any damage, we should bow down before this expertise and accept that they must be right.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index