Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2011, 13:11
Re: Our Sacred Land
Sep 27, 2011, 13:09
nigelswift wrote:
It's not boring and it hasn't all been said, certainly not in the world beyond this forum.

99.96% of archaeological sites aren't protected in the slightest way so will be laid open to be trashed by these brigands. But they're just a small, minority-interest element of the whole, not worth even a mention in the press and certainly without a hope of being included in any of the last minute token impact reduction that may have been built into the plan from the start.

Thanks for your postive comment, because I do worry that some may think that I'm always going political and banging on.

The statistic you mention re UK archeological sites is very worrying indeed. In rural Southern Ireland one gets the sense that they are respected. Perhaps an unconscious resonance from underneath the Top Soil of Catholocism. Come to think of it, for all its many faults and abhorrencies, the Catholic mind set does involve a lot of ritualised mysticism, that's why it was so successful in being adopted by the pre-existing Irish Celtic culture. I don't think it's necessarily an availability of land issue. The British mindset of the Protestant Work Ethic and Empire building variety has, I believe, led us, collectively speaking to become far more detached from any links to our cultural past.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index