tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Our Sacred Land
Sep 05, 2011, 19:27
The Sea Cat wrote:
tjj wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Thanks. However, I work in Social Welfare, and I have to say it, unpopular or not with some, the numbers of people that come here, largely to work and do the jobs that most wont, their Welfare Benefit and Housing needs are minimal, and they are a convenient scapegoat for a far vaster problem ie. Greed. Bread and Circuses amongst a lot of our own 'indigenous'. Always moaning about a phantom untruth. I don't subscribe to any political stance, just my head and hopes.

:-)

I have the greatest respect for your point of view Sea Cat and agree that consumerism or greed has been a large part of the bigger picture. I don't know what you mean by 'bread and circuses'.

There doesn't seem to be any such thing as indigenous population any more but there are certainly great divides between the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Unfortunately the 'have nots' are growing larger and larger in number. By 'have not' I'm not talking about new cars and holidays abroad but the opportunity to be employed or live, as we all aspire to, in home that has a bit of space and bathroom you don't have to queue up to use.

I can't agree that the housing needs of EU residents who relocate to Britain (the word 'immigrant' is perhaps too loaded) are minimal. How can they be - they are the same as yours and mine. All it means is, as the housing market hits a downturn, investment buyers are making a killing - buying up older properties cheaply to let to people who are desparate for somewhere to live.

Numbers. There's a real significant difference. Immigrants housing needs are far fewer than our relentless 'indigenous' ever expanding population. Fact.

:-)

Ok, point well made, I accept it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index