Our Sacred Land

364 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Our Sacred Land
Sep 05, 2011, 10:05
I agree with you wholeheartedly Sea Cat; I've always thought of the land where nature is allowed to flourish without interference as being 'sacred'. Often there are other aspects like history/prehistory that can be employed to protect it. Along with others, I've mentioned the long ongoing fight to save the land around Coate Water in Swindon from development. The battle has been going on for nearly a decade and earlier this year Swindon Borough Council once again refused the Developers appeal. However, Developers do not take no for an answer (in spite of a petition with 55,000 signatures) they are coming back in November to appeal again. A leading light in this campaign was interviewed in The Times on Saturday but unfortunately I wasn't able to get hold of a copy.

There is another stretch of green land known as the Front Garden which lies between Swindon and the motorway - the fight to protect this land was lost and it is now covered with box like houses that no-one wants to live in because of their proximity to the motorway. No doubt there will be people desparate for homes that will live there but myself, I'd rather live in a caravan.

I've also mentioned the Ramblers Association in a recent thread - perhaps they don't sound very rock and roll but they do work tirelessly to protect rights of way which would otherwise just disappear. Their current campaign is to progress the Marine and Coastal Access Act passed in 2009 - a legislation which would have allowed the designation of a continuous route for walkers along the entire coast of England. This present government is fast backtracking and if allowed to do so will delay the designation of the new route indefinitely.

Here's to the wrens, sparrows, blackbirds etc of our hedgerows - long may their song be heard.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index