Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: hmmm.
Jul 20, 2010, 17:10
Mustard wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
Especially at famous, obvious, I'm-deliberately-visiting-it sites like Silbury and Stonehenge. You don't climb up Silbury thinking it's an ordinary hill. You don't stand on the lintels at Stonehenge without knowing where you are.

Perhaps, maybe, whoever piled up those horse jumps at that stone Drew visited, they weren't thinking, they were so used to seeing that stone that they don't know what it really is, so they don't value it. Or like when I used to visit 'caesar's camp' when I was a kid and believed it was roman, I didn't really know what I was looking at. But that kind of blissful unawareness doesn't really wash at a massive site like silbury or stonehenge. Surely??

But not everyone appreciates the consequences of their actions. I imagine that it's simply never occurred to many people that a bloody great big hill like Silbury is actually suffering from structural problems. Sure, I imagine there's a few selfish people who would just climb it regardless, but it's not a good idea to assume that everyone is that way inclined. I've had friendly chats with people in the past who I've seen behaving in inappropriate ways, and often, they've not understood why their behaviour was a problem until it's been explained reasonably to them. I find it often helps to look for the best in people rather than assuming that you'll find the worst.

Good post Mustard...a voice of reason.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index