194 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Grrr...
Jul 19, 2010, 09:58
Littlestone wrote:
I think we all take your point exactly about mass invasion of the hill but it's unlikely to happen...

You're missing the point, you don't need a 'mass invasion' for things (animate or inanimate) to deteriorate to the point of no return (though for the umpteenth time the 'mass invasion' of Stonehenge at solstice time is indefensible). One person a day walking round the Avebury bank will cause as much damage in three months as a hundred people in a single afternoon - it's accumulative! If you doubt that take a look at the ongoing closure of certain sections of the Avebury bank for months at a time so that they can recover.

One first sweep of the plough at the base of a barrow followed by more, one too many footsteps at Saihō-ji, one too many songbirds, one too many of anything because one too many clowns think that their little act of vandalism won't make any difference - it does. Don't do it - period.

Okay so let's all sit at home and do nothing then! The instant you encroach onto a site anywhere you can say you are causing damage but I think with respect you are over-stating your case Littlestone. None of us on this list would contemplate purposely causing carnage on any site as we are (errrrrr) responsible people. Thank goodness JP does visit sites such as Avebury in numbers as we need to educate young people more so today than ever before. Yes the bank wears thin in places but that's not the end of the world is it as it will recover as you state yourself if left for a period of time. If ever there was a mass invasion then I'm sure steps would be taken to permanently rectify that as in the case of St Catherines Hill mentioned in another post. We are all with you on this but let's just get things into perspective. Walking amongst the antiquities as we are allowed today in most places is a priviledge we all wish to keep and certainly don't wish to go down the Stonehenge road of excluding us from the main goodies where the real vibes are to be found. Common sense will prevail never fear.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index