Pages: 20 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Grrr...
Jul 18, 2010, 18:34
Re: http://lemontravel.com/the-secret-of-avebury/

You can climb it [Silbury] for a view around the country side. No one really has an explanation for it’s original purpose. Though scientists have dug here, nothing significant has ever been found. Is it a sundial? A rich burial site? Your theory is as good as anyone’s so far.

Well, at least they had the sense and decency to publish Nigel and AlanS' comments - well done fellas! Next, people who think it's OK to climb on Stonehenge - be good to hear (from a conservation point of view) why those people think that's acceptable.
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Grrr...
Jul 18, 2010, 18:46
Littlestone wrote:

You can climb it [Silbury] for a view around the country side. No one really has an explanation for it’s original purpose. Though scientists have dug here, nothing significant has ever been found. Is it a sundial? A rich burial site? Your theory is as good as anyone’s so far.

Well, at least they had the sense and decency to publish Nigel and AlanS' comments - well done fellas! Next, people who think it's OK to climb on Stonehenge - be good to hear (from a conservation point of view) why those people think that's acceptable.

Plenty of these around silbury's base. ; )
http://i32.tinypic.com/2bs6sp.jpg
Lefturn
22 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 19:10
Anbody care to mention it is privately owned and not owned by the state?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jul 18, 2010, 20:47
Jul 18, 2010, 19:21
Think you should post a link to that notice on their website Mr m. They still haven't withdrawn their comment that, "You can climb it for a view around the country side."
megadread
1202 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 19:26
Littlestone wrote:
Think you should post a link to that notice on their website Mr M. They still haven't withdrawn their comment that, "You can climb it for a view around the country side."

Done, though i'm no preacher on the rights and wrongs of climbing Silbury, i've been up twice myself.
Tut tut.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 19:27
Littlestone wrote:
Think you should post a link to that notice on their website Mr M. They still haven't withdrawn their comment that, "You can climb it for a view around the country side."

"Still"? Weren't those comments on the article only posted today? Give 'em a bloody chance!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 19:34
megadread wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

Plenty of these around silbury's base. ; )
http://i32.tinypic.com/2bs6sp.jpg

The signs don't actually say it's illegal to climb it do they and they don't go out of their way to protect it too well either!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 19:41
megadread wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

Done, though i'm no preacher on the rights and wrongs of climbing Silbury, i've been up twice myself.
Tut tut.

So have I twice...and dozens of workman. I'm not saying it's right but the fact is that the real damage has been done by the digs carried out over the years, not by visitors who have climbed it. When Atkinson carried out his dig there in the late 60's he actually commented on the amazing condition of the mound and how it would have hardly changed in 4,500 years. The archo's soon changed that, not the climbers!!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jul 18, 2010, 20:46
Jul 18, 2010, 19:42
"Still"? Weren't those comments on the article only posted today? Give 'em a bloody chance!

Surely if they have time to moderate and approve comments they have time to correct their inaccuracies (or am I missing something?).

And well done mega' - let's see if they publish your comment as well :-)
Mosh
10 posts

Jul 18, 2010, 19:45
... though i'm no preacher on the rights and wrongs of climbing Silbury, i've been up twice myself.
Tut tut.

Me too. Climbed on Stonehenge at night as well.
Pages: 20 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index