Northern get-together 2009

Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Northern get-together 2009
Dec 13, 2008, 15:22
OK fellow Northerners (and visiting Southerners!), just wondering if it isn't time we organised a bit of a meet of our own, somewhere in the depths of darkest Cumbria? Why should those soft southerners have all the fun? An afternoon of food and banter set amidst the splendour of one of Cumbria's finest sounds like quite a good idea to me.

Any takers? Suggestions for time and place welcome

Cheers
Vx
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Northern get-together 2009
Dec 13, 2008, 15:57
Why should those soft southerners have all the fun? An afternoon of food and banter set amidst the splendour of one of Cumbria's finest sounds like quite a good idea to me.

Ha! That sounds good Mr V - time some of us down here had a ganders at wot's up there :-) And maybe we can have a compo to see who does the best T-shirt design ;-)
amd
28 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 18:14
Northern get-together, marvellous.

T-Shirts LS? In this weather!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 18:25
Well, woolly sweaters then Mr A :-)

But Vicster isn't suggesting a Meet in the winter... is he? Really wouldn't mind trying to get up north when it's warmer though. Hope it doesn't clash with the Avebury Megameet - gotta decide when that's going to be (Nigel's doing it this year so if we get rain out again it his fault ;-)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 19:24
Is this in Cumbria please, my geographical knowledge falls short once I leave the sheltered south ;) though I note loads of people go there anyway, must be like Avebury.....

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/70/castlerigg.html
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 22:58
yes. hence why it's located in the Cumbria folder :-P
amd
28 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 22:59
Castlerigg's towards the top of the Lake District yes. It's almost always busy being so accessible. Total tripod magnet. It's nice in the dark though.

AMD
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Dec 14, 2008, 11:07
No, I wasn't suggesting a winter meet, although there is nothing quite so breath-taking as one of Cumbria's finest in the snow!

Long Meg would be the obvious place for me, far less busy than Castlerigg and plenty of room for a picnic! For those who haven't been before, you could also visit Castlerigg as they are in easy reach of each other. Another good site would be Swinside but not much parking in the vicinity.

It was just an idea as there are quite a few of us who live within driving distance and it might encourage others to take a trip up North (or down south, for our Scottish friends).

Oh, and I am very definitely a Miss and not a Mr!

Vxx
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Dec 14, 2008, 15:29
Oh, and I am very definitely a Miss and not a Mr!

Ach! Apologies for that :-(

Long Meg for the Northern Meet sounds fantastic (I've never been). We gotta get dates sorted. Nigel, BuckyE seems to have gone AWOL so we better start thinking of a date for the Avebury Megameet (so it doesn't clash with the northern one).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Dec 14, 2008, 15:47
Have just emailed him.
Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index