Cumbria »
Northern get-together 2009

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: Northern get-together 2009
Dec 18, 2008, 16:05
Yes, sorry to have been away so long. This summer's extra time was spent researching for our trip to Rome (last few days of October and first week of November.) Not megalithic, and a bit of a departure from our usual prehistoric destinations. We do like Rome, though. Apologies to all the anti-Roman-Empire folks here, of course.

As noted in the "2009 Avebury Megameet" thread, Loie and I are still trying to go to Turkey next year. That would be in the early Fall. We would dearly like to join any Meets possible, but the dates of our travel will be dictated by the opening dates for Gobekli Tepe (September and October, we think.)
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Dec 18, 2008, 16:16
Yes im in Sheffield but orinally from Cumbria and would be up for some megalithic northerness

Can we wait till the spring ? tis a bit nippy at the mo :D
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Dec 18, 2008, 22:25
Sounds like a fine idea Ms V.
Vicster wrote:
Suggestions for time and place welcome

I reckon it's got to be twixt Castlerigg and Long Meg. Really, for folks making the journey from afar, who've never seen either, they'd have to see both. Though I'd reckon Long Meg would be better to spend a couple of hours at for a collective blether, (less busy, bigger and there's Little Meg too) then nip down to Castlerigg for a quicker look-see, possibly stopping off at Mayburgh.

Then if folk were up for spending the night in Cumbria, a visit to Langdale, offering the opportunity for Copt Howe and a glimpse at the Pike O Stickle, as it would give an excuse to stay at the ODG (or adjacent campsite).
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Dec 18, 2008, 22:39
Thanks for reminding me that the summer exists (don't feel like I've seen one for 3 years)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Dec 19, 2008, 03:46
Hob wrote:
Sounds like a fine idea Ms V.
Vicster wrote:
Suggestions for time and place welcome

I reckon it's got to be twixt Castlerigg and Long Meg. Really, for folks making the journey from afar, who've never seen either, they'd have to see both. Though I'd reckon Long Meg would be better to spend a couple of hours at for a collective blether, (less busy, bigger and there's Little Meg too) then nip down to Castlerigg for a quicker look-see, possibly stopping off at Mayburgh.

Then if folk were up for spending the night in Cumbria, a visit to Langdale, offering the opportunity for Copt Howe and a glimpse at the Pike O Stickle, as it would give an excuse to stay at the ODG (or adjacent campsite).

This is beginning to sound very good :-)
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Dec 19, 2008, 09:16
I'd like you to take a large scale OS map and to map out my territory - the places you won't explore - and to mark them, on this map, 'The Forbidden Zone'. (Thanks) .
moss
moss
2897 posts

Dec 19, 2008, 09:45
Stoneshifter wrote:
I'd like you to take a large scale OS map and to map out my territory - the places you won't explore - and to mark them, on this map, 'The Forbidden Zone'. (Thanks) .

Come on SS we can't do everything in two days ;)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Dec 19, 2008, 11:28
Hi Vicster (and other friends in the North)

I was hoping we could settle the date of the Avebury meet by Xmas as people will be starting to plan holidays etc soon, so it would be helpful if you could put your minds to a date soon to avoid a clash.

Traditionally we usually meet in late June though I was thinking maybe mid July this year to maximise the chances of decent weather but we'll fit in if you were thinking of that period.
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Dec 19, 2008, 11:41
"Here be Dragons"

(Well, actually, it's a small gauge steam railway, but with a very large engine driver).
amd
28 posts

Dec 19, 2008, 14:29
June or July fine with me for Megameet - I've shed those pesky student commitments finally!
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index