Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet
Jan 03, 2009, 12:59
Littlestone wrote:

Aye, I'd forgotten that Mr o, but on reflection it might not be a bad thing. It's quite a while now since I was there on Lammas but don't think it was that busy - not like the solstice. .

I've been there the last few Lammas weekends and it's not been that busy.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 03, 2009, 13:44

That's good to know sh.

Maybe we should go for Saturday, 1 August then? Heard on the radio yesterday that the Travelodge still has rooms available for the summer for £9 per room. Haven't checked out the Devizes Travelodge http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/hotel_overview.php?hotel_id=383 but it would be good to fix the date for the Avebury Megameet ASAP so people could take advantage of cheap rooms there if they are still available.
nigelswift
8112 posts

2009 Avebury Megameet & Megapicnic
Jan 05, 2009, 18:31
OK, so shall we say Saturday 1st August, South East quadrant, 12.00 onwards.... ?

Please bring megalith related foodstuffs (puns allowed) or not, as desired....
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet & Megapicnic
Jan 05, 2009, 19:29
Please bring megalith related foodstuffs (puns allowed) or not, as desired....

Can't decide if that was supposed to be puns allowed or buns allowed so shall cover both possibilities with the following minor British institution -
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/minor-british-institutions-rock-cakes-1015344.html

Good stuff! 1 August sounds grand :-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 06, 2009, 15:27
Littlestone wrote:

That's good to know sh.

Maybe we should go for Saturday, 1 August then? Heard on the radio yesterday that the Travelodge still has rooms available for the summer for £9 per room. Haven't checked out the Devizes Travelodge http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/hotel_overview.php?hotel_id=383 but it would be good to fix the date for the Avebury Megameet ASAP so people could take advantage of cheap rooms there if they are still available.

£9 deals have all gone now but there are still £19 deals available.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 19, 2009, 12:21

Saturday 1st August, South East quadrant, 12.00 onwards....
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Apr 19, 2009, 12:27
nigelswift wrote:

Saturday 1st August, South East quadrant, 12.00 onwards....

Funnily enough, I was just about to bump this for the benefit of any newcomers!

Be good to meet some new people, and see some old faces! Really looking forward to it...

Was great last year, seeing the cairn circle, and the fossilised wood in the stones... Been to Avebury so may times, but always manage to see something I've not noticed or known about before! Such a great pool of knowledge.

Might see if I can bring any of me other mates along - I know a few that would enjoy it! :)

G x
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Apr 19, 2009, 21:57
Funnily enough, I was just about to bump this for the benefit of any newcomers!

Yup, will be good to see old friends and any new TMAers that can make it as well!

Just checked out the Devizes Traveloge Goff and, sadly, there are no more vacancies available to cover the Megameet dates. Not to worry, plenty of other places in the area for people to stay/camp if they're planning on staying for more than just the Saturday of the Meet. There are some accommodation suggestions here - http://aveburymatters.blogspot.com/ and I'll try to add a few more to that list before the Meet.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Apr 19, 2009, 22:49
What's a Megapicnic? Huge pork pies and pickled onions the size of apples. Cucumbers that look like marrows ..... mmn, might be interesting.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jun 01, 2009, 09:35
2009 Avebury Megameet
Jun 01, 2009, 09:33
Just a reminder that we're now exactly two months off from the third Avebury Megameet on the 1st of August! If you haven't ventured forth for one of these before please give it a try. Put faces to names and meet up with some of the folks you've only ever cyber-chatted to here or elsewhere before.

The Meet will be in the south-east quadrant, either by the Obelisk marker stone or close to the stone here - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/71711.jpg It's a good idea to bring something to sit on and something to eat and drink too if you fancy it. If the weather's bad we'll be in one of the rooms at the Red Lion (the front largest room if it's available).
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index