Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet - More events
Jul 09, 2009, 13:20
Amen to all that.

The PDF file makes interesting reading in the wider context, Avebury has a singularity that makes it rather contentious and the National Trust seems to be handling a rather difficult job very well in trying to serve all members of the community......
tonyh
247 posts

Jul 09, 2009, 14:25
Chance wrote:
Now that the hysteria surrounding the mention of Terry has died down and any implied delusions made by others have been officially dismissed, I shall add to my previous post.

The NT flyer, Avebury Events - 2009, under the Summer talks, walks and workshops says.....

Festival of British Archaeology - July 18th - August 2nd

Meet the experts Sundays with our curator and our archaeologist. Taster tours around the Stone Circle Afternoon Rambles through the Avebury landscape with our Archaeologists or our Museum Curator.
Let the children discover their inner archaeologist with our mini-digs and other family activities.
Please telephone 01672 539 250 for more details.

For those who would like to read the official NT response to the campsite/tented accommodation during Periodic Observances at Avebury, a downloadable pdf is available here

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-avebury_camp_consult.pdf

Well, I don't know about hysteria, but your oridginal post did prompt some lively discussion. And discussion/debate is what this site is all about..

So, thanks for that Chance.

Nice one..

Tony
Avebury Truth
17 posts

Re: Other Events
Jul 09, 2009, 15:26
megadread wrote:
Pete G wrote:
Someone on the Sacred Silbury forum has asked me to post this here

"Have the National Trust done a CRB check on this man before they force members of the public with their children to be in his company?
If not why not.?
The NT have got a duty of care to the public!"

One of many issues the NT have to answer for if this is true.
I've e-mailed them for clarification.
Whilst i have no problem with terry and his followers or anyone else for that matter doing their thing this rule shall stand over my dead body.

The National Trust hasn’t done a CRB check on this man. However, Swindon College who regularly invite him to teach young people has. Anyone who wishes to view this official document is more than welcome to, by prior arrangement on 01672 539590. Any further unfounded suggestions in this direction will be taken rather more seriously.
tonyh
247 posts

Re: Other Events
Jul 09, 2009, 15:29
Good to know that folk are doing their jobs then..

Tony
Avebury Truth
17 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet - Other Events
Jul 09, 2009, 15:43
Pete G wrote:
this has been sent to to various Avebury websites after solstice

" Tilia:
Was at Avebury yesterday for solstice celebration - would like to ask who the objectionable (and rather grubby) Druid was who swore and carried on at the wiccans who had just had a circle. I asked the NT woman, and she said he was the self appointed keeper of the stones....self appointed? That means without any authority but his own? Right. He was rude and not a good advertisment for Druidry or Avebury. The NT should be aware."

Are you saying that the NT will only allow people to camp as long as they listen to terrys rantings?
There are other pagans groups who want nothing to do with this bloke but who come to Avebury for their own spiritual purposes.
Having to attend a compulsory ceremony is outrageous!

There is no compulsory attendance for the Druidic ceremony required by visitors to Avebury. The discussion with the Wiccans is over their desire to use swords in open and public ritual, which could ultimately lead to negative interest from the media. All that is asked is that this is taken into consideration when these props are used, so that free and open use of the site can be assured, for everyone (whatever their beliefs), into the future.
tonyh
247 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet - Other Events
Jul 09, 2009, 15:50
Avebury Truth wrote:
Pete G wrote:
this has been sent to to various Avebury websites after solstice

" Tilia:
Was at Avebury yesterday for solstice celebration - would like to ask who the objectionable (and rather grubby) Druid was who swore and carried on at the wiccans who had just had a circle. I asked the NT woman, and she said he was the self appointed keeper of the stones....self appointed? That means without any authority but his own? Right. He was rude and not a good advertisment for Druidry or Avebury. The NT should be aware."

Are you saying that the NT will only allow people to camp as long as they listen to terrys rantings?
There are other pagans groups who want nothing to do with this bloke but who come to Avebury for their own spiritual purposes.
Having to attend a compulsory ceremony is outrageous!

There is no compulsory attendance for the Druidic ceremony required by visitors to Avebury. The discussion with the Wiccans is over their desire to use swords in open and public ritual, which could ultimately lead to negative interest from the media. All that is asked is that this is taken into consideration when these props are used, so that free and open use of the site can be assured, for everyone (whatever their beliefs), into the future.

Yep..

Thanks for that. Sian informed of this a little earlier

The confusion over this issue started with a Post by Chance .

But it's now resolved.

Tony
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet
Jul 09, 2009, 16:23
danielvanc wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
danielvanc wrote:
Here here and as a new member here and friend of goffik's am also looking forward to meeting other like minded people at Avebury on the 1st August :)

Welcome to TMA danielvanc - look forward to meeting you in Avebury on the 1st August!

Hi Littlestone - Great see you there! :)

Good stuff Mr d.

Can't say it often enough, but there's a lot of localised cr*p in Avebury (of the even-toed ungulates variety I hasten to add :-) so speaking from personal experience it's always a good idea to bring something to sit on :-)
megadread
1202 posts

Jul 09, 2009, 19:00
Chance wrote:
Now that the hysteria surrounding the mention of Terry has died down and any implied delusions made by others have been officially dismissed, I shall add to my previous post.

Hysteria. !
Nah.
Response to something that needed responding to that's all.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2009, 19:24
Jul 09, 2009, 19:14
I don't know why chance made such a provocative statement in the first place.
The camping PDF from the NT has been available for ages which is why I quiered the source.
tonyh
247 posts

Jul 09, 2009, 20:10
And why on this thread?..

It's caused a lot of discontent amongst a few of the contributors..

Tony
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index