This topic is locked

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet & Megapicnic
Jun 01, 2009, 11:45
Was talking about this with Mothandjane on Saturday.

:o)

If your luck is bad you might just bump into me and my tribe !!

:op
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 01, 2009, 12:08
Crackin'!

Looking forward to this - I always think it's ages away, but then suddenly it's upon me! Be good to see ya, Noddy!

G x
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jun 19, 2009, 16:28
*bump*

A reminder to anyone who fancies it, the Avebury megameet is on Saturday 1 August, South East quadrant. Gather for picnics at 12noon. In the event of rain, we'll be in the Red Lion, obviously!
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Jun 30, 2009, 13:06
Bumpity bump!

Jane wrote:
*bump*

A reminder to anyone who fancies it, the Avebury megameet is on Saturday 1 August, South East quadrant. Gather for picnics at 12noon. In the event of rain, we'll be in the Red Lion, obviously!

Peace

Pilgrim (possible)

X
handswithenergy
handswithenergy
48 posts

Jun 30, 2009, 18:59
1 August is the festival of Lughnasadh/Lammas so expect plenty of druids to be in the southern inner circle from 13:30ish. I don't know if there will be Lammas Games this year but they are generally held in the north circle area. The summer festivals also often have handfastings at the ring stone. All in all expect the car park to be busy that day.

Matthew
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 30, 2009, 20:03
Hi Matthew!

Be sure to come and say "hello" if you get the chance! :)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 30, 2009, 20:10
"1 August is the festival of Lughnasadh/Lammas so expect plenty of druids to be in the southern inner circle from 13:30ish...."

I think the date also falls within the Festival of Archaeology so there might be a three-way turf war. ;)

Yes Matthew, come and say hello....
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2009, 13:52
Jul 02, 2009, 13:50
Be good to see you on the 1st August again Pilgrim - and anyone else who can make it!

There's a bit more info on this year's Megameet here http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/ and here http://aveburymatters.blogspot.com/

Basically (for those haven't been before) it's an opportunity to see friends again, and meet people you may only have chatted to on the forums. Also a good opportunity to catch up on the latest megalithic news and share a drink and a snack together. In the past people have either brought something to eat and drink or have got something at the Red Lion. We've also exchanged books, CDs etc, brought along photos of recent fieldtrips (looking forward to hearing about Carnac, Goff and the Northern Meet, Scubi) and have sometimes driven or walked out to nearby places of interest.

Think we may have left it too late to get t-shirts printed this year (pity because previous Megameet t-shirts are now collectors items ;-) If you feel like printing your own though please go ahead. It's all very informal, so if you're free on Saturday, 1 August we'll see you either in the south-east quadrant of the circle or in the large front room of the Red Lion if the weather's poor.
scubi63
463 posts

Jul 02, 2009, 22:49
I am still hoping to make it but work is making noises about some work abroad and you just know it is going to be at the same time as the Avebury MM.

Do not worry though, under strict instructions from Jane I am writing a 'bit' of a blog about the Northern MM and my travels around Cumbria.
I will post shortly with a bit of luck and if I can pull my finger out!

:o)

Scubi
Chance
80 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet - Other Events
Jul 03, 2009, 00:12
It is worth mentioning that there will be several of events happening at Avebury on 1st August 2009

Terry the Druid will be carrying out the annual Lammas ceremony in the morning.

This will involve a gathering in the sun circle followed by the procession to Silbury Hill. He will then climb the hill and give blessings for a successful harvest with the Lammas cakes. After the descent there will be another ceremony and the processional walk back to Avebury for the distribution of the Lammas cakes.

There will be a free and open Gorsedd of Caer Abiri in the sun circle at 14:00 followed by the Lammas games in the Moon circle at approx 14:30.

As these events are part of the annual pagan calendar, the NT will allow camping in the car park on Friday July 30th and Saturday the 1st of August. ALL tents must be removed and the area returned to normal by 16:00 hours on Sunday 2nd August.

TMA members are welcome to join the temporary camp on condition that they participate in at least one of the pagan ceremonies and/or the Lammas games. This is a stipulation made by the NT for allowing the pagan community to use the car park. Please respect this.

Video of previous Lammas events can be seen on my UTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/chippychance

Chance
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index