listening to music

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: listening to music
Jan 22, 2003, 23:07
The point has been raised that music can and should be listened to differently depending on circumstances, familiarity with the music, and the type (esp. genre) of music. Does
no one else think that, given those factors (especially the last), there may be a "best" method of listening?

For example, much of the modern dance music is perfectly suited for dancing, perhaps especially when augmented by certain ingested substances, but probably not for sitting still on the couch in the golden spot, giving careful attention.

Another example would be much of the droning sort of minimalism. On instances I played Phill Niblock's "Five String Quartets", which consists of twenty slow drones (produced by five multitracked performances of a string quartet) that converge at a glacial rate over forty minutes. At high volume, and listening to all the sum and difference tones, this can be great, and some listeners loved it, but there would also be those who were rather baffled. The general manager once told me that it was the most annoying thing he had heard played in the afternoon in a long time. It's not something I think you would probably listen to casually.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index