listening to music

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: listening to music
Jan 21, 2003, 00:24
Have to say I have enjoyed this thread. The points have all been well made, and are heartfelt. Many different views, but then there would be as music is such a personal thing, it connects with people on so many different levels.

There have been a few points I would strongly disagree with, but probably because they are sweeping statements e.g. Mr Squid says....... " i agree that if u have a long list that u listen to each week then u are not listening to any of them properly" So, not listening to ANY of them properly are we? Mmmmm have to disagree with that one, I could have 40 albums on my list, listen to 39 of them once each and the other one play thirty times - surely that would qualify as listening to that one "properly" But, that's probably me being pedantic again.

I DO have a good hifi - set up properly too. I also listen to the majority of my late night or very early morning music on good quality headphones, so the music BEGS for my attantion - and I give it.

My Soundtracks usually comprise of about 70% old favourites that I am very familiar with, the rest being either new purchases, things people have sent me, or those albums that have sat on the shelf and not given the attention they deserve (or I didn't "get" them first time round.) The ratio changes. Some weeks there is more new stuff, some weeks I don't post, as I feel I have nothing to add, maybe I have been playing a very similar selection to the previous week, getting more aquainted with the new stuff.

I kind of agree with Squid's point about vocals just being another part of the music. I have to hold my hand up and say that I don't concentrate on the actual words - so yes, I concede, I probably don't listen in a way you would class as "properly" but I do pay close attention to the SOUND and texture of the words. In my own little world this gives me an advantage over many people (for lack of a better phrase) My theory is that, when some of you are getting old saying "That's not music, you can't even hear the words" I won't give a toss because (largely) the words don't matter to me.

The great thing about "Soundtracks" (S.T.O.O.L.- I like it, "This week I've been listening to a crock of old shit" hehehe) is that is makes people think about music which has to be a good thing doesn't it. I read all the posts, and often they inspire me to play - or even buy - things on other people's lists. I know I won't fancy listening to everything everybody lists. I have a fair Idea I won't be exploring most of Joolio's lists, but he writes well, has a passion for the music and he's a mate -which I hope I can also count some of you other HHers as too.

So there you have it, disagree, or agree as you choose, just continue to enjoy music, and let everyone else know how great it is. Let it instill a passion in you, but don't get too hurt if people don't buy into your ideals.

Norbert might have a point there you know......

Moey xxxxx NP: David Sylvian - Secrets Of the Beehive - and listening "properly"

"Battle Ye Not With Monsters....."
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index