listening to music

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: listening to music
Jan 22, 2003, 11:32
Well, despite being told to lighten up by Pagan Dawn, here's one I prepared earlier......

A couple of alternate viewpoints to studiously concentrating on the inner being of the music

Satie wanted to create music that could "mingle with the sound of knives and forks at dinner"

Eno talks of being bed ridden after an accident and listening to a faulty stereo at a very low volume "This presented what was for me a new way of hearing music - as part of the ambience of the environment just as the colour of light and the sounds of rain were parts of that ambience" He then suggests listening to his "Discrete Music" at "comparatively low volumes, even to the extent that it frequently falls below the threshold of audibility"

The Sleeve notes for Eno's "Thursday Afternoon" CD (NP) go on further: Eno's intention with these pieces it that thye should function as tapestries; large-scale, non-intrusive atmospheres which lend a consistent mood to the environments in which they are heard."

Eno's ambient pieces are not normally listened to in the same way as, say, Hawkwind or Motorhead, which, to me, confirms, that, there is not one right and other wrong ways to listen to music - There is more than one way to skin a cat (as my old English teacher used to tell me)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index