listening to music

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: listening to music
Jan 20, 2003, 21:05
Wb Shrimp!

Well Im for and against really (Libran you see)
I do get and empathise with your notion of listening to music. I can see that side for sure; the experience and so on.
But it seems to be overtly dogmatic and ultimately limiting in the context of whatever you may be listening to. It almost feels like the end result of your 'process' would ultimately to listen to one record only for ever.

But I ultimately I am with Grufy and Telepathine; There is no one 'proper way' . It's not for nothing that there is a phrase such as 'mood music'. With all the will in the world it's highly unlikely I'm gonna listen to AC/DC the same way I'm going to listen to John Coltrane.

For a start the actual context in which I listen to music veers from is so variable it would be folly to attempt to synthesise a listening process for myself in order to "get it". That presupposes that there is only one correct response to a certain tune anyway. It would also require me to almost formalise the way I listen to and play music and, dude, that seems too clinical to me and analytical to me. I want all the range of emotions and responses I can muster with all sorts of stuff that floats my boat.

I might be washing the dishes, getting ready to go out, with people, on my own, happy, sad and so on. And as is very common I might be just listening.
The "Soundtrack of our lives" thread is so aptly named 'cos thats exactly what it seems that music is doing for a lot of people on here. And in those lives are all sorts of situations, mood and moments that music is linked to.

From tapping one's toe to a tune on the radio whilst doing a crossword, to an indepth full on 'being inside the music' type experience, there's a whole range of experiences to be had; and more importantly, all of them are valid. So it seems a shame to limit oneself to a "way".

Whatever, though, glad you have your 'ears' back so to speak.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index