Unsung Forum »
listening to music

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: still listening to music
Jan 20, 2003, 22:43
The context can be an external one; environment, mood, all sorts of things. It's what allows one to have a varying response to even the same record.

And the responses already on this thread seem to indicate that people are gonna listen to their music in differing ways. Some of us are even frivolous enough to listen for pleasure you know. A music experience can be a moment of pleasurable fluff or a moment of deep profundity and all points in between.
To wish to narrow it down to one particular experience, to wish to boil it down to the 'proper' way and assume that is the 'right' way seems to me to be wishing a denial of emotional responses not only to music, but to practically anything. It almost seems like a kind of self inflicted method of being emotionally stunted; avoid all variations to the path to the 'right' way. Hmmmm not for me I'm afraid.
I like being able to play a record and hear it in different ways, as well as enjoy the very thing that gave me the 'buzz' about in the first place.

If your process, or whatever, works for you Shrimp, then cool. But the thing is your questioning of people's listening experiences is also entering an area of unquantifiable expression. Like with a lot of art, after all the analyses and pontificating, when you're asked "why do you like so & so", sometimes "I just do" is the purest answer.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index