Negative Reviews

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 115 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: And just want to mention!
Jul 12, 2004, 21:00
Actually,if I recall..the cartoon The Groovy Ghoulies had a cartoon 'video' of Chick-A -Boom as well as other songs from that era

I'd have to check to confirm..and can't be arsed at the moment,but I think Groovy Ghoulies was by the same folks that did the Archie cartoons
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Sung/Unsung?
Jul 12, 2004, 21:58
I reckon you and Dog were lucky. Coming from London and being a student around that time I remember them well and I thought they were rubbish, personally. Sounded like a cross between Mott The Hoople and Adam & he Ants to me, although I dare say someone out there will find the idea of that combination appealing.
zuggog
286 posts

Re: censorship
Jul 12, 2004, 22:46
I'm afraid it is!! You ask any old revolutionary type. [or is that revolting]
boy howdy
boy howdy
185 posts

Responsibility &Financial Considerations
Jul 13, 2004, 03:38
It seems that a lot of folks are scrambling for a definition of what reviews do or do not belong here, and a lot of references have been made to the opening page of Unsung.

No one seems to have mentioned Julian's write-up "Some Moral Responsibility & Financial Considerations"?

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/reviews/moralresponsibility.php

Perhaps Holy McGrail has been a little snappy and defensive (and rightly so) in response to the freaking-out this has stirred up. I'd personally stick up for Dog 3000's ELP review (which upon inspection is not a wholly negative review), and I hate ELP, but I think a point was made that there are too many reviews cluttering these servers that a) do not belong here, and b) do not adhere to Julian's guidelines I linked to above.

It's probably a little reductive to say that Unsung is a place for championing "lost rock'n'roll" though that's what I'm primarily interested in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the focus of Unsung IS music from a psychedelic or post-psychedelic mindset. You can call it "gnostic" or "shamanic" or whatever you like, but I think we could all agree that "Minor Threat" doesn't belong here.

I'm eager to see what The Seth Man has to say about this, but I was inspired by his quote: "Better to light a candle than curse the Darkness"

It would certaily be unfortunate if people stopped posting reviews altogether, and if anything this debate has inspired me to whip up another review or two after a lengthy dormancy period. Perhaps others could do the same - show others what types of music/listening/writing this website should be about.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Responsibility &Financial Considerat
Jul 13, 2004, 08:33
>>but I think we could all agree that "Minor Threat" doesn't belong here.

You think very, very wrongly, I'm afraid.
Clark Gwent
68 posts

Re: PSB classy CHARTpop band
Jul 13, 2004, 09:05
I don't remember any of those getting in the charts, if they did I stand corrected.
It IS a fact that the eighties were the worst decade for chartpop due mainly to the hideous synthetic production values then extant. I stand by what I wrote, which is not neccessarily what you thought I wrote.
keith a
9572 posts

Re: PSB classy CHARTpop band
Jul 13, 2004, 10:01
the charts are worse now than they've ever been imo.
zuggog
286 posts

Re: Responsibility &Financial Considerations
Jul 13, 2004, 13:15
Ahhh, ya don't want to clean out reviews that may be regarded as surplus to requirements/not suitable. A place is never the same without the cobwebs. And some people are probably proud of those same literary efforts. And I still wanna see the deleted review if that's in any way possible..
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 13:22
The other Suede stuff I heard was pure wank. Enough said.

I imagine the lesbian folk singer of the same name must be worse though...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 13:24
That was my point exactly...
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 115 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index