Unsung Forum »
Negative Reviews

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 116 17 18 19 20 21 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: And just want to mention!
Jul 13, 2004, 13:28
Oh yeah, also Daddy Dewdrop made me think of Dr. Hook, which is pretty much the same way w/ the children's record?/adult record? thing...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 13:31
Sabrina The Teenage Witch came after the Goulies, right? And then Sabrina became part of an Archies show. I can go on about 70s cartoon shows! Anyone remember the theme to Josie And The Pussycats? Excellent!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: gnostic rock'n'roll
Jul 13, 2004, 13:35
Didn't even know that was supposed to be Odin at all, really...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Responsibility &Financial Considerat
Jul 13, 2004, 13:40
Who'd say hardcore punk wouldn't be shamanic? Not that I like Minor Threat or any of that hypocritical SE stuff...
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

odin
Jul 13, 2004, 14:57
No doubt I'll end up being almost-flamed (and probably disbelieved) by the follower of Onan for saying this, but that is definitely meant to be a picture of Odin - that's why he's only got one eye. Its the sleeve of Mr. Cope's Odin (not Discover Odin) album that gives it away, it's described there as the "Odin illustration by William Falkenburg from Sir Lord Baltimore LP 1970".
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Charts vs. Underground vs. ??
Jul 13, 2004, 16:37
I have to agree -- the separation between "chart music" and (for lack of a better term) "underground music" has been growing for decades.

Generally the "underground" has the cultural mojo (i.e. STYLE) and the "charts" reflect the needs of the media to target advertising to a given demographic (i.e. FASHION).

Back in the 60's it was possible for the underground to creak through on the charts. Believe it or not the first 2 VU LP's and even really weird shit like the Silver Apples made the top 200 album charts.

In the 70's "rock" fragmented into so many sub-genres I don't think you can really summarize the decade any concise way (the Unsung decade!) But it was also the rise of "corporate rock radio." Punk was a reaction to that. It garnered some "chart action" in the UK, but in the US punk pretty much stayed "underground."

Which is why the 80's may be even a more unsung decade than the 70's! However you'd never guess from looking at the charts. The year "Daydream Nation" came out the charts were dominated by Paula Abdul, Johnny Hates Jazz, and just the most forgettable ad-demo-driven shit.

As far as I'm concerned the "grunge thing" in the 90's represented the death of something, not a rebirth. That was the point at which the Industry finally came in and co-opted the underground. (From past conversations, maybe it was different in the UK.) However, even then there weren't very many undergrounders who managed to crossover and actually score a big on the charts.

In the early 90's I stopped wearing flannel shirts (about the same time Urban Outfitters started selling them for $50) and started listening to hiphop and jazz almost exclusively. Hiphop had a "golden age" from about 1986-1994 (equivalent to rock's golden age 1965-1973 or so) . . . though few "stylish" hiphoppers ever got on the singles charts (they sold shitpiles of albums tho.)

Which brings us to today. I think (and fervently hope) that CD burners, mp3's, downloading, etc. is simply going to destroy the "record industry" as we have known it. The chart business will become less and less profitable as the capabilities of the underground grow and grow -- to the point where "underground" may stop being a meaningful phrase.

When I got my first analog four-track back in 1989 I would never have guessed that 15 years later I'd be able to record, mix & master all-digital and burn my own CD's . . . AND IT EVEN COSTS LESS THAN CASSETTES USED TO IN 1989!

There's nothing stopping anyone from doing the same -- anyone with a PC now has MORE capabilities than the indie record labels of the 80's, in terms of production & distribution. The "underground" could be everywhere.

Where will it lead? Who knows. Ramble off!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 16:41
I think Sabrina is a show from the 90's . . . maybe you're thinking of Casper's friend Wendy the Witch?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Arfanaardvark reviews
Jul 13, 2004, 16:55
I think the deleted one is long gone . . . but there's two OTHER reviews the same guy wrote almost a year ago which are still up. The deleted one was much the same (one paragraph, lots of swearing, nothing but a hatchet job basically.)

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/reviews/index.php?review_id=816

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/reviews/index.php?review_id=815
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Responsibility &Financial Considerations
Jul 13, 2004, 17:06
Thanks for finding that article again -- I coulda sworn there used to be an obvious link to it from the front page of Unsung?

Note however Julian says nothing in those guidelines about WHAT KIND OF MUSIC to review. He holds up Seth Man as the icon of reviewerdom, and I would like to point out that Seth Man has reviewed: dinosaur prog records, chart-topping records everyone has heard of, and punk records that bear little or no resemblence to "psych."

In other words, nothing there sez ELP or Minor Threat is off limits . . . and I generally think any genre-limitation could only hurt the overall project.

However I APPLAUD your threat to "lead by example" here. I got no time for those who complain but don't contribute . . . if we ain't doing it right, SHOW US HOW.

:-)
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: Arfanaardvark reviews
Jul 13, 2004, 17:20
"And I bet all the other records reviewed here are crap as well. "

That sums it up nicely doesn't it? I agree with Hols, this kind of thing really doesn't belong on Unsung.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 116 17 18 19 20 21 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index