Negative Reviews

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Bang Shang A Lang
Jul 12, 2004, 17:09
Oh I got all the Archies shit too, don't worry!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: And just want to mention!
Jul 12, 2004, 17:14
Yeah! Daddy Dewdrop's tune is kind of like a sexy psychedelic hipster version of "Stranded in the Jungle."

The "plot" involves his pursuit of this "far out chick" through a series of doors (I know it doesn't make sense) . . . he goes through one of the doors and the chick is gone but he finds the top of her bikini . . . then later he finds the chick (presumably topless, woo woo!) The singer just oozes sleaze appeal when he says words like "chick" and "sexy." During the chorus there's female background singers doing an orgasmic "ahhh!" sigh . . . .

And the funny thing is at the same time it sounds like a kid's novelty record -- like something off of Sesame street!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: gnostic rock'n'roll
Jul 12, 2004, 17:26
The "shaman/showman" trope Julian has used is a good one, and sometimes useful for analyzing a record. I've used it before in some of my reviews.

However, it's not always applicable. Some music doesn't center the "human personality" at all. For example, how would you explain weird low-key instrumental records like Red Crayola's "Coconut Motel" or Eno's "Music for Airports"?

As far as what unsung reviews should be about -- read Joanne Wilder's essay and that pretty much says it all. Anything goes, creativitiy is encouraged, but writings must be of a "decent readable standard." It don't say nothin' about gnostics, negativity, or even "rocknroll" for that matter.

If the admins want to change the rules for the review section, they certainly can. When new rules are posted we should start following the new rules. But until new rules posted, we should keep following the guidelines that are currently up.
wreckmyheaven
wreckmyheaven
51 posts

Re: Check your EGO at the door
Jul 12, 2004, 18:03
>Unsung is a great place to be creative and all this has only made me feel way too nervous about posting my next review which i just finnished, bad timing huh.<

Your review of Alex Harvey is great. It made me want to check it out.

Please...don't be affraid. Post away!
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: Lemon Pipers
Jul 12, 2004, 18:14
Maybe between their early stuff and bubblegum... their official website proudly proclaims that members played on Yummy Yummy Yummy and the like.
Juliette Lewis
109 posts

Re: Sung/Unsung?
Jul 12, 2004, 18:27
My question is, what would be the point of posting a full-length review of something I genuinely like, and which might not be that easy to find, if it might get deleted just for being by a familiar name?
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Postings in general
Jul 12, 2004, 19:04
the tanz postings were the opposite way round

lordy did his good review and then i posted a quick ....yes or no depends how you took it ...just beware and give it a proper listen just like lord had done and take into account jules comments from krs - it was not a review and not meant to be as such

shit is was so long ago and times have changed hugely since then

if the powers that be wish to remove or move any items that i post anywhere and everywhere then thats fine by me and i respect any reasons that they give not that i want one even - i and u and we and whatever do not own the site - yes its got a mofo vibe of anything goes but a few guidance notes and vibes are set already and its good to be reminded of them from time to time
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Jul 12, 2004, 20:00
"shaman/showman"

Hey thanks dog, I'd never noticed the similarity between those two words, very poetic. :)

"some music doesn't center the 'human personality' at all"

If I understand you properly (and I have to admit to not knowing either of the records you mention), I'd say that's exactly why that music is shamanic: it's chaotic and disintegrating to your sense of self.

I certainly take your point about the site admin setting the "rules" and Joanne Wilder's words. It's also fair to point out that those words appear under a bloody great big picture of Odin, though! I wasn't trying to lay out any rules so much as draw attention to something that I understand as being a big part of what Unsung is about.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Jul 12, 2004, 20:04
You're right that the word "gnostic" isn't mentioned in the introduction to unsung, but it does say:

"a remarkable effort with which to encourage the whole shamanic aspect of rock'n'roll which Julian himself so believes in"

If I'm reading it rightly then this is an attempt to encourage a shamanic/gnostic awareness in reviews, I feel.

I'm not trying to argue with you here, mind, dogman, just having a look at what it says and discussing it. :)
lordsitar
257 posts

Jul 12, 2004, 20:39
i think your looking to deeply at this mate.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index