Unsung Forum »
Negative Reviews

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 11, 2004, 09:59
With regard to your last paragraph, I'd like to echo the question asked by one or two others around here (Severin and MonkeyBoy) by askng exactly what your criteria for "Unsung" music is. For instanmce, I was planning on reviewing "25 All-Time Greatest Bubblegum Hits" ( a compilation which only goes up to about 1973 and features the likes of Ohio Express, the Archies and even cartoon characters like Josie & The Pussycats) because I genuinely think, with regard to today's music scene, that this is an undervalued and largely forgotten area of music which deserves a closer listen. Should I still bother, or is this stuff considered too lightweight and mainstream to qualify?

I agree that some of the artists who get reviewed on that board are contentious as to whether they really qualify for "Unsung" status", but on the other hand I hope the reviews section doesn't end up featuring only psychedelia, krautrock, obscure prog and nothing before 1966 or after 1974, because if it does it's going to get pretty boring, and I for one probably won't bother reading it anymore to be honest.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Further thoughts
Jul 11, 2004, 10:02
(I don't even understand what you're talking about . . . "discussion board" . . . "thread board"???

At any rate I didn't start either of these forum threads about ELP -- that was Jim Tones & Holy.)

All I did was write a review of a record that moved me . . . something I've been doing here every couple of weeks. It's "ironic" that it's become a big deal.

The "ELP" angle may be overplayed here . . . is Holy planning a major "clean up" of the Unsung reviews? That's what I'm beginning to suspect. If so, I hope he'll be forthright about these plans and adjust the intro page on Unsung to reflect whatever the new criteria for writing reviews is going to be (I always thought "unsung" was whatever the writer thought it meant.) To just start deleting people's work based on unspecified criteria and pretending that this is still a "democratic review forum" where anyone can share their opinions would not be cool.

The freedom and participation was the main reason I came here in the first place. I may not be long for reviewing here if this scenario is what unfolds (and I'm sure Holy would be fine with that. This is far from the first time there's been grumbling "from the top" about the kind of music people choose to talk about here. I can take the hint. And yes, I do feel somewhat targeted.)

I fully appreciate what "freedom of the press" means, but if certain topics or bands or genres of music are verboten, then what I understood to be the promise of the "Head Heritage community" is gone.

I'll quote this one more time, because I love & agree with everything said here:

"UNSUNG is a place for you to discover music and a place for you to turn others on to stuff they might not have heard by writing your own UNSUNG reviews. As Julian is a self-styled 'forward-thinking Motherfucker', he has no intention of limiting, editing, or even seeing your reviews before you post them. Over the years, he himself has championed many types of music which were then unfashionable . . . "

Holy: if that's not the way it is anymore, let us know what the new rules are.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: PSB classy pop band
Jul 11, 2004, 10:40
which might make them highly relevant as one of the few things that shined in the charts at the time.

By the way, the people that really were stinking the charts out in the 80s was Ozzy, Alice Cooper, Dio...(plus Phill Collins. Sting....). Some of these have had plenty of coverage in Unsung and in the reviews section. Admittedly due former glories, but none of them produced works of true beauty in that decade where as PSB did.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 10:41
I do wonder if there would have been such a problem with PSB if it had been an obscure dance compilation from the 80s & 90s (which relentless very much relates to) or someone hipper, e.g. Cabaret Voltaire, Suicide, Kraftwerk! Relentless is hard to find, features no singles, is a short-history of dance music at the time, is more head music than pop music & comes from an unfashionable band! & Suede aren't exactly in fashion either- if their review goes, can we delete ones by Bowie?
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 11, 2004, 10:42
No but the album reviewed may be unsung due it's variety and difference to the rest of their work.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

doh..
Jul 11, 2004, 10:46
rarity not variety. Sorry, sunday morning and that...
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 11:10
It is not a fact - it is an opinion.

People thought the same way about the 70's - shit compared with the 60's - and then it was re-evaluated. Same will happen with the 80's. Sure there was loads of crap, but show me a decade when there wasn't.

Anyone who wants to make generalisations and totally dismiss a decade that gave us Kilimanjaro, Closer, Compass Kum-pas, Fried, Sqirrel G, Meat is Murder, Daydream Nation, Surfa Rosa, A Bell is a Cup, From the Lion's Mouth, Limping for a Generation - Blow Monkeys before they went pop- now that's unsung!!, Psychocandy, Vega Rev, Spirit of Eden, Sulk, Rocker Meets King Tubby, Don't Stand Me Down, Brian Wilson, etc , etc (fill in your own faves), needs to get over their prejudices.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 11:21
Tottaly agree, also as we are mainly of one generation then the 80s may be far more relevant to those a bit younger as it would have been the stuff that was around when people were at a really tender age and not old enough to develop more off the wall tastes or to go off on real musical exploration and experimentation.
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Sung/Unsung?
Jul 11, 2004, 11:22
>that's just so ridiculous and childish. sounds like it hurts you that people are into bands you have never heard of...

It's not ridiculous and it's not childish. It doesn't hurt me that people are into bands I have never heard of. On the rare occasions that a band has been mentioned that I've not heard, if they sound like they'll be my cup of tea I make a writen note and look out for them.

I don't actually particularly like Seude, apart from the odd single, but if you've never heard them then you've obviously been living in a cave for the past dozen years.

My point was that there are people who appear to like music because it is obscure and not because of anything to do with the music. Some of the music I like is obscure, some of it isn't. The only thing it has in common is I like it.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Can of Worms
Jul 11, 2004, 11:23
which you could get in any high street chain store. Try finding relentless.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index