Silbury Hill trespassers

295 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
Jan 12, 2013, 13:11
nigelswift wrote:
Some will never heed signs it is true but the better the signs are the fewer hardliners there will be, and there IS room to improve the signs.

One thing the signs could do is show a few images from about 1 minute 35 seconds in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aszkz_vifUo which amounts to a close-up of the damage done by the "new" path. Outrageous really, and that was in Summer. Not many people wouldn't "get it" that they shouldn't add to that.

Tell you something i think would help, another focus by Silbury along the lines of the large cairn by Stonehenge, or even dare i say a picnic area.
If you approach "the back way" as soon as you cross the Winterbourne it's a now or never situation, dash across the field and get to the bottom of Silbury (and therefore out of sight) and climb as quickly as possible, there's no other reason to enter that field really, but if there were another focus in that field i believe people would be happy being that close and may just sit and gaze rather than climbing, i mean the car park is crap in those terms, way too busy and not a comfortable area to sit and contemplate. doubt it's feasible btw but just throwing my thoughts out there.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index