Serious Conservation 2
This topic is locked

183 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Perhaps it's just me...?
Nov 13, 2003, 07:24
I agree totally with everything Moth has said.

I share his impression that you "left" because you felt I was on a different path as a result of my posting here http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=14294&message=147788 and your response to it here
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=14294&message=147796 and quite why the one should have prompted the other is still a mystery to me but I'm content for it to remain so.

More to the point, it would be a shame if the project lost steam as a result, as seems to be the case currently. I confess once again that it wouldn't be my personal wish to work within a tight corporate environment and equally I'm not able to give as much energy to the thing as I would wish or you might require but that's just me and has no bearing on anything. I'll do what I can to support whatever is decided.

I do think Moth is spot on when he doubts whether, when it comes down to it, there is sufficient commitment to run the thing how you'd like. He says "I wouldn't ever want to have people relying on me for this kind of enterprise" and that's exactly my position and probably most people's. I mentioned this at an early stage and you yourself highlighted the danger of it going off half cocked through lack of staying power. Your vision IS the most effective but Moth is right again, George is exceptional and there's no sign as yet that half a dozen Georges are waiting to volunteer. If they now come forward to your call then fine but if not then it will have to be a more informal exercise (but useful nonetheless). The number of commited volunteers that come forward will decide the issue.

You're right to be frustrated about the name thing. Can I suggest this: let Goffik, who needs cheering up and hasn't expressed an opinion yet (I think) choose a name and strapline and we'll all agree to go with it (assuming it's not too bizarre!)

So far as projects are concerned I have very recently been led to understand (think horses mouths and moles) that Silbury would indeed be a VERY good choice. Specifically an anniversary demo, as big as possible, and (just as importantly apparently) lots of pre-publicity that it was really going to happen rather than just be talked about. It seems that if we get our act together and look credible some useful allies may go public. A website, in some form or other, looks to be urgently needed.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index