Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 2/2/03
Feb 03, 2003, 14:14
I often donÕt do the weekly Sountracks thread. Because ofÉ
a) Terminal laziness
b) A lot of stuff I listen to is pretty much similar from one week to the next.
c) The fact that I donÕt get round to thinking about it until Monday morning means IÕm not in the best frame of mind to remember everything I listened to.
Anyway, IÕll make an exception this week and list a few of the things that stick out from what IÕve been listening toÉ

Soft Cell Ð This Last Night In Sodom
After digging this out and listening to it tripping a couple of weeks ago, my mind has been totally blown by it and IÕve not been able to get its screaming rage out of my head since. Anyone who thinks Soft Cell were all carefully constructed pop should listen to this nasty album. ItÕs even got screaming guitars all over it. ÔSlave To ThisÕ is a stream-of-consciousness amphetamine-fuelled nervous breakdown.

The Residents Ð The Commercial Album
My Residents collection is almost complete now, and I canÕt believe I took so long to get hold of this gem. The sheer number of songs on this album means IÕm still getting off on the brand-new-shag-ness factor, but I can tell already itÕll be a regularly played thing.

Negativland Ð Sex Dirt
A bit disappointing. Negativland can usually do no wrong, but this seems curiously prissy and directionless considering itÕs supposed to be a Negativland-ising of the sex issue. Not up to their usual standard, though still has moments.

Acid Mothers Temple Ð Magical Power From Mars (vol 1)
Very nice meditative thing from the Oriental furry freaks. Absolutely mental holographic 3D cartoon Roger Dean style cover art. Just one 20 min track of reverb-ed raga chanting and burbling synth. Very pretty and very drug-fucked.

Pole Ð Pole 2
After reading various people recommending them here I plumped for this, and really like it. Good to hear electronica stretching out to embrace a bit of dub. Curiously short album. But thatÕs my bag at the moment. I feel a lot of CDs these days are filling up their 70+ minutes because they can. The brevity of this, the AMT CD and the following one have made a refreshing change. Oh, and itÕs nice to hear some tape hiss on a CD again!

Thighpaulsandra Ð Some Head EP
Picked up for the bargain price of £3 second hand. Nice long-form burbling and honking that I need to listen to a few more times to totally immerse myself. Like it so far though.

The Pixies Ð Doolittle
I love the way the guitar solo at the end of Number 13 Baby goes in and out of time with the rest of the music. Clever swine this lot.

Fela Kuti Ð Shakara/FelaÕs London Scene
Everyone at work seems to be able to get into this OK, which is great coz it means I donÕt have to listen to Mozart and Air all day now. Nice bit of Afro funkiness to fight winter blues.

And digging through a dusty bag of cassettes I found a mixed tape I made years ago and had forgotten about. ItÕs two 45 min long constantly shimmering mixes of Eno (played forward and backwards), Thomas Koner, Bill Laswell, John Hassell, Tchaikovsky played backwards, Robert Fripp, The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa and various others I canÕt pinpoint now, generally three things playing at once, each occasionally rising above the rest. Love it and have now burnt it onto a couple of CDRs for nocturnal drifting. Glad I had that rummage!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index