Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 2/2/03

44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 2/2/03
Feb 02, 2003, 16:49
Currently i'm in the process of completely reorganising my music. It's a drastic step that can sometimes pull me out of a bout of depression when all else fails (a fact that would probably reveal terrible things about my psyche if i had any faith in psychoanalysis). Also, as i'm hoping to get an mp3 player in the not-too-distant future, it gives me the opprtunity to re-rip my entire CD collection at an optimum bit-rate. So far i've copied 102 CDs to my hard-drive, and it feels like i'm just getting started!

Anyways, whilst that's been going on, it's given me the chance to really immerse myself in music this week. Albums that have really stood out...

The Catherine Wheel - David Byrne
It's a while since i've given this a spin, and i'd forgotten how plain weird it is. really good too, of course, but very very weird.

Autogeddon - Julian Cope
still my favourite Copey album - from the blistering opening track right to the spacey "i wonder if it's possible to actually get any more horizontal than i already am" finish.

BBC Radio Theatre gig - David Bowie
This bootleg - recorded in June 2000 - is just amazing. Opening with a lusher than lush version of "Wild Is The Wind", Bowie once again shows himself to be the coolest man in the world.

The Shutov Assembly - Brian Eno
One of the overlooked ambient albums. There's annoying speaker-crackle right through the first trtack on my copy of the CD. Otherwise an excellent "in the dark" album for when you want your soundscape to be a little more cinematic than ususal.

Sean-Nós Nua - Sinéad O'Connor
O'Connor takes on a number of traditional Irish songs, and does an amazing job with most of them. There's perhaps a little too much delay-effect on a couple of tracks, but her versions of "The Parting Glass" and "Paddy's Lament" are top notch, and the collaboration with Christy Moore on "Lord Baker" is the highlight of a fine album.

Reverence - Faithless
Just really discovering this band. Saw a recording of their Glasto perfromance and it really impressed me. This album is fantastic and i expect i'll be tracking down more from Faithless before too long.

Also spent a lot of time listening to Björk remixes, as i'm gathering my multitude of rare Björk tracks into one place. Didn't put on "Family Tree" yet though. I've just not been in the mood for anything unfamiliar this week... y'know that feeling?

Also...

Talking Heads, more Byrne and Bowie, Boomtown Rats, Lou Reed, Stina Nordenstam, Brian Wilson and The Streets.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index