Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 2/2/03

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 2/2/03
Feb 02, 2003, 12:45
A depressing week when I learned (not for the first time) that people cannot be trusted. Thank God for music. And vital to my suspect emotional well-being this week were:

Julian Cope 'Fried' - the man's muse at its most inspired and fucked-up best. Never fails to make my day;

Queens Of the Stone Age 'Songs For the Deaf' - my, this lot rock as hard as they look. A most engaging combination of Mudhoney and early XTC. 'No One Knows' may just have been the best 45 of the last twelve months;

Richard Thompson 'Rumour And Sigh' - maybe the last person I should've been listening to in my current low state, but I find his stories of character faults and betrayal ultimately uplifting, and his guitar playing is out of this world. This is probably my favourite of Thompson's later albums. I'll be lashing out on his new record this week I expect;

Peter Hammill 'Over' - particularly for the ultimate chronicle of the screwed-up soul 'Betrayed'. My, how I empathised with that song this week;

Ramones 'Ramones' - balm for the soul in a jaded world. Try not have a smile from ear to ear after listening to this baby;

The Small Faces 'Darlings Of the Wapping Wharf Launderette' - just essential British pop music, timeless and damn near perfect. No one, and I mean no one, has a more spine-tingling vocal sound than Marriott at his peak as here. And those songs...heaven's got a treat with both Steve and Ronnie up there;

Hawkwind 'Quark, Strangeness And Charm' - my favourite Hawks album without a doubt. Bob Calvert's whimsical muse was at its strongest here, and there's an authentically punky edge to the proceedings that makes this the least dated of their 70's releases for me. Thanks Joolio for sending up a CD transfer of this deleted-for-too-long gem. The improvement over my crackly vinyl copy is marked. All together now: "Hashish, hashish, hashish, hasheeeeesh...."

Caravan 'Caravan' - this classic debut has never been far away from the car stereo or home hi-fi for the last few weeks. A period piece for sure, but the spirit of '68 comes to life loud and clear in the new CD remaster. I can almost see Tara King strutting her stuff in front of me when 'Magic Man' is playing(calm down David, calm down...). And 'Where But For Caravan Would I' may just now be my bestest Caravan song ever - and that means relegating the sublime 'And I Wish I Were Stoned/Don't Worry' to second place. Buy this remarkable album;

Mal Waldron 'The Call' - I've reviewed this before for 'Unsung'. Suffice to say it's an invigorating mix of space rock and pure jazz over two long tracks of sheer headfuck. Not for nothing did Embryo cover the title track soon afterwards (with Waldron guesting, incidentally). We lost poor Mal late last year. This album is his most cherished legacy;

Beethoven: Symphonies 1, 2, 4 and 7 (Paris Conservatoire Orch/Carl Schuricht) - dug this forgotten Beethoven symphony cycle out of the mothballs. The scrawny French woodwind and horn sound takes a while to get used to, but Schuricht's interpretations are worth the effort - direct and individual without being idiosyncratic;

Sibelius: Lemminkeinen Legends (Iceland SO/Petri Sakari) - unjustly obscure Sibelius, tautly performed by an orchestra obviously used to the chill inherent in the music. A good bargain on Naxos, backing up an impressive Sibelius symphony cycle by the same forces;

Greig: Lyric Pieces (Arthur Rubinstein) - simple, faultless music, played simply and faultlessly by the greatest womanizing, havana smoking, high-living great pianist who ever lived for ninety odd years. Rock and roll.

"Music was my first love...and it will be my last" said the terminally uncool John Miles. Well that makes two of us, mate.

Good listening everyone.

Dave W (with apologies to my good friend Joolio for pipping him to his usual thread again)
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives w/e 2/2/03
Feb 02, 2003, 12:59
Glad u started it off I am still trying to wake up enough to get my thoughts together.
8-)
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Feb 02, 2003, 13:01
Tara King - now u are talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Feb 02, 2003, 13:39
Hiya

Cheers Fitter for kicking Soundtrax off this week. So what has passed across Joolio’s stereo this week.

Firstly I am gearing up for my first gigs in ages – going to see the Porcupine Tree a couple of times on the forthcoming tour so they have occupied poll position on the hi -fi this week with the following

Signify,
Metanoia (outtakes from Signify)
Coma Divine (classic live album of Signify tour)
Staircase Infinities outtakes EP from 1992’ Up The Downstair – blissful guitar work
Stupid Dream starting to get more song based as opposed to long airy Floydian styled instrumentals great all the same
In Absentia – the new one and must played this week – in terms of atmosphere the darkest since Signify – growing on me slowly but getting there.

Also given a spin Traffic’s 1st album Mr Fantasy this is brilliant more diverse than later releases but a superb collection of songs nonetheless especially considering that none of the band were out of their teens at the time!!!!!!!!!!

Still been in a Jethro Tull mood and have continued to trawl back thru the record collection this week I dug out - Too Old To Rock and Roll Too Young To Die another long neglected album and a lot better than I remember it being.
Thick as a Brick retains its place on the play list – class in a glass
Also dug out A – hmmmmmmmmmmm not sure on this one it sounds like a dry run for Broadsword and the Beast and Crest for a Knave jury is still out on this one.

Gong – Flying Teapot top stuff

Grateful Dead – Live Dead another CD I have struggled with over the years however I dug out the Nag Champa joss ticks and give it a spin this weekend and its growing on me.

David Crosby – If Only I could Remember My Name introspective, reflective bliss 8-)

Also this week I continued to explore some of the many CD-R’s sent my way recently

So the following have got a first listen this weekend: -

Courtesy of TPS - Acid Mothers Temple – La Novia blinking flip this is good stuff how can I describe it hmm…. I cant I will have to play it again and again and let you know.

And from Boot – A load of stuff too of which the following got played before the 12 ‘clock Saturday nite Soundtrax window closed last nite: -
Ananda Shankar and State of Bengal – Walking On excellent record rocked out with outbreaks of sitar or is it sitar with outbreaks of rock!!!
And a splendid Funk compilation Funkology Vol. 1 cheers watch for the postman, some funk stuff heading your way this week.

Think that’s me
See ya all soon

Joolio
Still raining, still dreaming!!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 02, 2003, 14:56
Beck - Midnight Vultures
Charlatans - Wonderland
Underworld - 2nd Toughest....
Rialto - Night On Earth
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Photek - Solaris
joe90
10 posts

Feb 02, 2003, 15:14
Tanx to DW for the Wyatt vid;having it converted as I speak!

Haven't chimed in for a while:

T-Rex- The Slider
City Slang- Sonic Rendezvous Band
Flamin Groovies- Teenage Head
High Time- MC5
The Move -Split Ends
Captain Beyond- Sufficiently Breathless

Rockist as hell this week!
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Feb 02, 2003, 16:49
Currently i'm in the process of completely reorganising my music. It's a drastic step that can sometimes pull me out of a bout of depression when all else fails (a fact that would probably reveal terrible things about my psyche if i had any faith in psychoanalysis). Also, as i'm hoping to get an mp3 player in the not-too-distant future, it gives me the opprtunity to re-rip my entire CD collection at an optimum bit-rate. So far i've copied 102 CDs to my hard-drive, and it feels like i'm just getting started!

Anyways, whilst that's been going on, it's given me the chance to really immerse myself in music this week. Albums that have really stood out...

The Catherine Wheel - David Byrne
It's a while since i've given this a spin, and i'd forgotten how plain weird it is. really good too, of course, but very very weird.

Autogeddon - Julian Cope
still my favourite Copey album - from the blistering opening track right to the spacey "i wonder if it's possible to actually get any more horizontal than i already am" finish.

BBC Radio Theatre gig - David Bowie
This bootleg - recorded in June 2000 - is just amazing. Opening with a lusher than lush version of "Wild Is The Wind", Bowie once again shows himself to be the coolest man in the world.

The Shutov Assembly - Brian Eno
One of the overlooked ambient albums. There's annoying speaker-crackle right through the first trtack on my copy of the CD. Otherwise an excellent "in the dark" album for when you want your soundscape to be a little more cinematic than ususal.

Sean-Nós Nua - Sinéad O'Connor
O'Connor takes on a number of traditional Irish songs, and does an amazing job with most of them. There's perhaps a little too much delay-effect on a couple of tracks, but her versions of "The Parting Glass" and "Paddy's Lament" are top notch, and the collaboration with Christy Moore on "Lord Baker" is the highlight of a fine album.

Reverence - Faithless
Just really discovering this band. Saw a recording of their Glasto perfromance and it really impressed me. This album is fantastic and i expect i'll be tracking down more from Faithless before too long.

Also spent a lot of time listening to Björk remixes, as i'm gathering my multitude of rare Björk tracks into one place. Didn't put on "Family Tree" yet though. I've just not been in the mood for anything unfamiliar this week... y'know that feeling?

Also...

Talking Heads, more Byrne and Bowie, Boomtown Rats, Lou Reed, Stina Nordenstam, Brian Wilson and The Streets.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Catherine Wheel/Byrne
Feb 02, 2003, 17:10
Wow..how about that..just this week I ran across a tape of this that i thought I had lost...really good stuff..just came flooding back 'pon listening.

Think I'll go through my stacks and see if I can come up with a list for this week...should just do my Soundtrack for January.........
Beebon
1375 posts

Feb 02, 2003, 17:23
Hey¬!!

No Fall at all for me this week which makes a change!

Electric Wizard - Electric Wizard
Electric Wizard - Come my fanatics....
Wow, my first exposure to this band and i love it! Heavy, slow, trudgey doom rock with a big nod toward Black Sabbath and a bit of hawkwind type effects too.... havent stopped listening to it!

Kraftwerk - compilation thingy mr Howden sent me :)

The Godz - Contact High with the Godz:
Didnt do too much for me at first, but after a couple of listens, then reading Lester Bangs article on them... they begin to make a bit of sence.

Frank Zappa - We're only in it for the Money: Hmmmm, kind of interesting and quite funny at times..... but u can tell he is such a shit at times, perhaps a little too much of a muso wankster. Though it has entertained me, and i would of loved to have seen how all the Hippies would of reacted to it at the time!

Harmonia - Musik von Harmonia: Brilliant floaty spacey dreamscapes. Me likes!

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori

Well, i think thats about it really!

Have a nice week everyone!
Steve :)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 02, 2003, 20:22
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
inc the encores disc -hey Seth Man - where is yer?? The Squidlings and meself have been using the Purps of late as that crucial play-something -fast-and-loud-and-leap-around moment shortly after I return from the salt mines…

Queens of the Stoneage - Songs for the Deaf
is put to similar foot-stomping use as the above selection.

Did anyone hear the Andy Kershaw interview on radio 5 the other night? About his experiences at a Tuareg (sp?) festival in the desert? Robert plant was there, and Ali Farka Toure (sp?), both friends of Andy’s, and who’d never met. He managed to get the two of them round a camp fire under the desert stars, and, rather reluctantly, they took up guitars. They play the recording…Plant starts to strum this slow bluesy thing and A.F.T. eventually joins in with these wondrous chiming notes…then plant sings, and it’s a really weird and crazy version of, yup, whole lotta love. Then the radio 5 interviewer interrupts and says to Andy, well, how long did that go on for? To which Andy replies something along the lines of not much longer if you’d have cared to listen to it through you pillock….classic but sad. If that recording comes out on CD I want one btw.

Physical Graffiti - Led Zep
CD2 in particular - I’ve always neglected it. The Wanton Song is a great fun riff to play along with…

Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Particularly Flaming Telepaths and Astronomy. This CD and Tyranny and Mutation are firm faves at the moment.

Spirit - Potatoland
Still betting a lot of listens at Squid Mansions. I just wish Randy California had got round to making the promised "Revenge of the French Fries"…

Black Sabbath - Volume 4
Snowblind! Say no more…except maybe Wheels of Confusion. A soundtrack for a wintry week.

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Late night floaty spookiness mmmmm

Soft Cell - Singles
Latest purchase from the cheap cd shop. Soundin groovy. I’m really into the 80s synth pop/rock thing at the moment. I’m particularly enjoying Loving You, Hating Me, Where the Heart Is, Numbers and Soul Inside.

T.Rex -Electric Warrior
One of the first LPs I bought. When it first came out…
Ride a White Swan was the first single I ever really really had to buy. I ordered it in the local "record shop", more like a hardware store that sold the top 10 singles. Every day for the next week I stopped off there after school to see if it had arrived. When it finally did appear and I placed it on the crap plastic thing that passsed for a stereo it was a moment of formative rock n roll bliss. So I had to have Electric Warrior when it came out…listening to it now is a strange mixture of nostalgia and true rock n roll love. What a sound, especially at that time…it seemed so appropriate.

Have a Rockin Week,
Peace and Noise,
Squid
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index