Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)

82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
lademell
68 posts

Re: Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)
Oct 22, 2013, 14:54
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
How long ago was the Comus offered?

An interesting story about the 2nd Mothers Lp poster, do you have it?

My hatfield poster is for the debut and is a long horizontal poster. I have a poster somewhere for the Hydrogen Jukebox.

I have the See Emily Play poster but mine is an original from 1967 not merely the ones from 1981.

It's hard for me to say about Comus...if memory serves, at least five years ago, maybe as much as eight or nine - I seem to recall being Seymour Stein's assistant at Sire at the time but could be wrong (that would put it at no later than 2005 - but I'm just not positive). I remember because I was just coming to know the album and liking it (probably because some of the vocals reminded me of Roger Chapman).

I remember it was a top notch printing of the illustration...maybe with 'Comus' - not sure, though, that there was a FIRST UTTERANCE on it. Don't remember any label references (was it on Dawn/Pye?)? And it definitely wasn't, as you see sometimes, just the poster that came in the new deluxe reissue.

I don't have the ABSOLUTELY FREE poster but have seen a few...and a few boots. Because WHIT LIGHT/WHITE HEAT also had a shop poster at the time, assuming that it was part of the marketing strategy for MGM/Verve in '67 (though not for VU&N which, to my knowledge, didn't have a shop poster). Would love to hear your story...

Wow - the debut Hatfield...very cool...never seen that! And an original "See Emily Play"...there's a nice piece of history...love the designs on both Floyd UK single posters...

Incidentally, my biggest regret was not getting a UK promo poster for Can's TAGO MAGO that I saw at auction in '91 (and also a NEU! poster from Dinger's estate). The TAGO MAGO came to auction around 2000/2001...I was the office grunt at London Records...had just moved to NYC after college and was trolling eBay while covering reception. It only went for about $125 at the time...no doubt, today it would go for much more - though I'll probably never see another...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index