Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
lademell
68 posts

Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)
Oct 17, 2013, 21:22
Hey guys,

After many years of searching and thinking that, beyond a Polydor 8 x 10 glossy and trade ad for "Love Makes Sweet Music," no promotional/shop materials were ever printed for the '67 - '70 era of Soft Machine, I found and snapped up at auction, this UK Probe shop poster for VOLUME TWO:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2re4gls.jpg

A lovely stylized/psychedelic 20" x 28" enlargement of the back-cover band shot with 'SOFT MACHINE' in a nifty graphic font. Thought it might be of interest to some on this forum...

All the best,

Larry DeMellier
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Re: Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)
Oct 17, 2013, 21:26
Nice, would make a tre cool T-Shirt too.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Oct 17, 2013, 22:15
Cor, that's beautiful. I envy you!
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 17, 2013, 23:37
Monganaut wrote:
Nice, would make a tre cool T-Shirt too.

Can I have one as well? It would make a pucker T-shirt.
Beebon
1375 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 07:03
Wow, that is very cool indeed and as the people above say it would make an ace t shirt :)
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited Oct 18, 2013, 13:28
Oct 18, 2013, 13:23
Groovy , do you have a scan
of the single ad ?
lademell
68 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 14:47
I don't...but I've seen it...believe it's all text. The Polydor 8 x 10 glossy is pretty cool though...again...only seen it, don't own. I believe it's pictured in the Pink Floyd Archives book...might be on one of Vernon Fitch's discographies pages...as he owns it, I think...
lademell
68 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 14:50
Beebon wrote:
Wow, that is very cool indeed and as the people above say it would make an ace t shirt :)

Totally...I'd love to have it on a t shirt. I collect a lot of these things. Probably the other one I'd want most on a t-shirt is my Scott 'Engel' Walker - SCOTT 4 promo poster:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2nv7bcg.jpg

Only place that illustration exists, and it's the only known copy - at least among collectors - I got it, like, sorta in an estate sale that had items, I believe but not positive, from Engel's mom's estate.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 15:46
Larry, there is nothing about the poster which indicates that it is a Probe records promotional poster, neither the UK or the US record company#. It is an excellent executed Silk Screen poster commonly made from the late 1960's or the early 1970's. The best thing about the poster is the words Soft Machine using that typeface* (tries to remember) The deliberate off set which sets up the inky background going into bubbles is excellent.

#did you find it in the US or UK?
lademell
68 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 15:59
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Larry, there is nothing about the poster which indicates that it is a Probe records promotional poster, neither the UK or the US record company#. It is an excellent executed Silk Screen poster commonly made from the late 1960's or the early 1970's. The best thing about the poster is the words Soft Machine using that typeface* (tries to remember) The deliberate off set which sets up the inky background going into bubbles is excellent.

#did you find it in the US or UK?

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you entirely there. Incidentally, it was found in the UK. Of course posters were silk-screened for head shops and the like back in the day. However, the Soft Machine were far too marginal a band to have had commercial materials printed in this manner. You are correct that there is no catalog information on the poster. However, for 1969, promotional items, if they were printed at all, often did not carry record company logos and the like. I have some that do and some that don't.

If this was not printed by UK Probe, then, without a doubt, it came officially from the band's management to be sold at gigs.
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index